Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Methyl anthranilate (Grape Ester)  (Read 8437 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Methyl anthranilate (Grape Ester)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 07:52:32 pm »
I judged a recent Vienna and Marzen category with another judge and in two beers we both noticed the grape issue and I suspected Munich malt as the culprit.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »
As I explained to Martin yesterday, the conversion of heptanal to ethyl heptonoate requires multiple reactions.   The first reaction involves the conversion of the alkyl aldehyde heptanal to the higher alcohol heptanol (CH3(CH2)5CH2OH or C7H16O).  The conversion of heptanal to heptanol results in the production of the carboxylic acids heptanoic acid and 2-hydroxyheptanoic acid. Anyone who has read "Have You Seen Ester?" knows that a carboxylic acid is an acid whose formula ends in COOH, which is also known as a carboxyl group.

As one can clearly see, the formulas for heptanoic acid and 2-hydroxyheptanoic acid both end in COOH.

Ethyl heptanoate is the condensation reaction between ethanol and heptanoic acid.

C2H6O + CH3(CH2)5COOH → C9H18O2 + H2O

The above reaction reads one molecule of ethanol plus one molecule of heptanoic acid yields one molecule of ethyl heptanoate plus one molecule of water.

I have the links to the publications that I provided to Martin if anyone is interested.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:20 pm »
As I explained to Martin yesterday, the conversion of heptanal to ethyl heptonoate requires multiple reactions.   The first reaction involves the conversion of the alkyl aldehyde heptanal to the higher alcohol heptanol (CH3(CH2)5CH2OH or C7H16O).  The conversion of heptanal to heptanol results in the production of the carboxylic acids heptanoic acid and 2-hydroxyheptanoic acid. Anyone who has read "Have You Seen Ester?" knows that a carboxylic acid is an acid whose formula ends in COOH, which is also known as a carboxyl group.

As one can clearly see, the formulas for heptanoic acid and 2-hydroxyheptanoic acid both end in COOH.

Ethyl heptanoate is the condensation reaction between ethanol and heptanoic acid.

The above reaction reads one molecule of ethanol plus one molecule of heptanoic acid yields one molecule of ethyl heptanoate plus one molecule of water.

I have the links to the publications that I provided to Martin if anyone is interested.

Good to have some advanced knowledge laid on us!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 10:58:38 pm »

Cool. Please post.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 12:30:18 am »

Howdy sir!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 05:28:19 am »

Howdy sir!
We missed you.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 06:06:49 am »
Welcome back!
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 07:18:28 am »
That's some crazy science-y sh*t! Welcome back!
Jesse

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 08:24:19 am »
This has been fun and educational to read. I have experienced that flavor described as grape before, but had never associated it with actual grape flavor in my pallet.  I kind of think of the flavor as an under-fermented Pilsner malt flavor - kind of sour, but not really.  Nice to put a name and origin on it.

Totally agree. Thanks guys!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 07:57:39 am »

Cool. Please post.

Bioconversion of heptanal to heptanol by Saccharomyces cerevisiae, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/yea.1750/pdf

Characterization of volatile aroma compounds in different brewing barley cultivars,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273755180_Characterization_of_volatile_aroma_compounds_in_different_brewing_barley_cultivars

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:32 am »
All great info. Thanks saccharomyces
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 08:59:57 am »

Glad to have you back.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:01:52 am by RPIScotty »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2016, 04:15:48 pm »
It's so nice when knowledgeable people share information relating to a topic here.  Thanks, Mark!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 04:40:50 pm »
It's so nice when knowledgeable people share information relating to a topic here.  Thanks, Mark!

And when it is freely offered without any smug replies.  Welcome back Mark!

Offline bucketbiochemist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:24 pm »
I've had a "grape" flavor noted at the AHA comp. for Kolsch made with WLP029.  Do people think this is the same flavor?  Is WLP029 (or other Kolsch strains) known for this compound?