Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: (R) Hops  (Read 6513 times)

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
Re: (R) Hops
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:42 am »
I heard Jamil on a recent BN podcast advocate opting for commodity hops and avoiding the ® hops.

I heard the same thing. I think he went as far to say he can accomplish the same flavors with public domain hops. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for a specific trademarked hop, but it is annoying when you have to scour the internet trying to find one in particular when there is a bad year for a certain crop.

With all the small tap room "nano" breweries popping up, I wonder how they even get a hold of enough simcoe, citra, amarillo.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:18:20 pm »
I hope Chinook is on the good list...

If there's none in the freezer...I'm jonesing
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 07:21:12 pm »
I have 3 rescue dogs...not worth much...to me...Priceless
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »

The only ones I know for sure are citra simcoe Amarillo and Idaho 7. But there's probably more.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »

The only ones I know for sure are citra simcoe Amarillo and Idaho 7. But there's probably more.
Warrior, Mosaic, Equinox, Ahtanum, Palisade, Summit, Jarrylo, and Azacca can be added.

It takes 10-12 years and 8-10 million to bring a hop to production. Why not protect your investment?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:12 pm »

Mosaic, Ahtanum, azacca, jarrylo, belma, one of the CTZ hops (tomahawk?), el dorado, lemon drop. I'm sure others as well.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »
If the public domain hops really were as good as the private ones then they would flourish in the free market, right?

Hops get hot because they offer aromas that are unique and help sell beer. Hopefully the growers can keep up with demand.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »
If the public domain hops really were as good as the private ones then they would flourish in the free market, right?

Hops get hot because they offer aromas that are unique and help sell beer. Hopefully the growers can keep up with demand.

Well put!  I'm pretty sure that the folks who developed them know enough growers to make sure they'll be able to keep up, but do they really want to? 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »
It takes 10-12 years and 8-10 million to bring a hop to production. Why not protect your investment?

People often forget this point in a discussion of this sort.  Thank you for the reminder.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:24 am »
Most of the beers I make I use Magnum, Goldings, or Saaz.  I have mosaic, citra, and amarillo sitting in the freezer for adding variation to those base beers though.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 05:20:16 am »
I guess its one of the many cool things about the hobby side of brewing. You can use big name hops or not. Whatever works for you. Without the worry of getting in a fight with a crazy sister over the social acceptance of the thing.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:45 am »

The public domain ones are as good as (actually, by many measures better) than the private ones and as far as I know they do flourish in the free market in as much as there is a hypothetical free market. There's obviously room for both.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 07:02:15 am »
For me, it's just about using the right tool/ingredient for the right job. If I'm making a lager or Belgian, U.S. 2 row won't cut it, so I pay the extra for pils, Munich, etc. Though I use a ton of different hops, if I want the character that Mosaic, Equinox and others bring to the party for a given beer, I pay for what I want. Same with yeast - several dozen specific strains not available in cheaper dry form. Though the savings on dry isn't much nowadays.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 08:47:28 am »
I'm just glad to be able to get hops. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were having trouble finding hops because of a shortage. And they tripled in price nearly overnight.

Never have been one for joining popular movements. So if anti-Big is in then I'm anti-anti-Big.

I'm throwing my support behind BIG Bizness and loving being able to buy my hops and grain whenever I want.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 09:27:44 am »
I totally respect their choice to trademark with such significant outlay to develop.  On the other hand, trademarks aren't forever...  I don't think the prices are horrific but I've been brewing a long time so almost all prices are high to me  ;D

As of late I've been doing some old school IPAs with 50/50 cascade/cents am quite happy with it.  I am getting a pound local for $12ish...  I have a buddy that brews a IIPA/almost barley wine with a 50/50 blend of EKG/Cascade and it is incredible. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH