Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Royalty  (Read 2468 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Royalty
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:10:19 am »
It's time has come and gone; why do these people carry any importance today? Why is prince harry important enough to take up air time on the news? He can't raise taxes, start a war, or have anyone beheaded - what kind of king would that be?

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Royalty
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:16:23 am »
Because they sell tabloids.  ;)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:33:43 am »
Yeh.... and all girls still want to be kissed by a prince.   ::)   :D  Did you ever notice that there isn't much fuss about a princess, most guys figure they're too stuckup to bother with even if they were a knockout.   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:42:11 am by dean »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:18:11 am »
I've always considered British royalty to be their equivalent of a flag.  A symbol, granted, not much more these days.  Their view of the flag of the Union or St Georges Cross is much less reverent and worshipful as American's average view of the stars and stripes.  Their royalty are walking, breathing, rather costly flags, essentially.

I do consider the tabloid rubbish to be a bit annoying...and I'm hoping that E II outlives her git of a son, maybe the arguably lesser gits of his progeny will be better than Charles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:59:30 am »
Because they sell tabloids.  ;)

That, and the Queen is on the money.

Here we have our tabloid royalty, that are famous for just being famous.  Paris, Kim, etc.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:16:09 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »
The British royalty are symbolic to be sure but the Queen has some real clout in Parliament as well as billions of $$$.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:26:33 pm »
Some of the trappings of the Monarch are not personnal property, but are property of England.  The Crown Jewels are not for sale, or Buckingham Palace, they belong to the nation.

Her wealth is considerable but less than $1 Billion in most estimates.  Could be more, could be less today.
http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/queen-elizabeth-birthday-cx_cz0418queen.html

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »
If she dies and one of those kids abdicate it will be over.

Who is next after her royal majesty? Charles?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
Some of the trappings of the Monarch are not personnal property, but are property of England.  The Crown Jewels are not for sale, or Buckingham Palace, they belong to the nation.

Her wealth is considerable but less than $1 Billion in most estimates.  Could be more, could be less today.
http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/queen-elizabeth-birthday-cx_cz0418queen.html

How much of it did she earn herself?  Next to none.  Of course there's nothing wrong (IMO) with inheriting gobs of money, but I don't see what contribution the monarchy adds, except for tourist money.

I'm speaking as a Canadian (of English decent) here - Price Charles & Camilla toured Canada last fall - the media made a huge deal out of it and all I could think of was 'how much of my tax dollars are going to feed and house them and drive them around.'  Bunch of friggin nonsense, if you ask me...

If she dies and one of those kids abdicate it will be over.

Yes, Charles, then William
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:00:47 pm by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »
How much of it did she earn herself?  Next to none.  Of course there's nothing wrong (IMO) with inheriting gobs of money, but I don't see what contribution the monarchy adds, except for tourist money.

She is said to have inherited the family estates, art, and investments.

Was looking at the list of the world richtest women.  Down to #11, and all got the money from inheretence, or divorce settlements.  Not trying to be sexist here, some family fortunes are huge.

It is much more lucrative to have family names like Walton, Quandt, or Heineken (to keep it a little beer related) than to be Queen of England.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:47:45 am »
She is said to have inherited the family estates, art, and investments.

Was looking at the list of the world richtest women.  Down to #11, and all got the money from inheritance, or divorce settlements.  Not trying to be sexist here, some family fortunes are huge.

It is much more lucrative to have family names like Walton, Quandt, or Heineken (to keep it a little beer related) than to be Queen of England.

And all those estates, works or art, etc were probably given as gifts or built as royal estates.  At least with (most) other family fortunes someone did some work to amass all that wealth somewhere along the line.  I doubt that's the case here.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 05:59:35 am »
It's time has come and gone; why do these people carry any importance today? Why is prince harry important enough to take up air time on the news? He can't raise taxes, start a war, or have anyone beheaded - what kind of king would that be?

So you're saying you expect humans to be logical?

ha ha ha.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 02:30:09 pm »
Don't forget.. for the Brits not only do the royalty have an important symbolic function, they have an important monetary function as well. The very existence of the royal family and all of the associated fluffery make for a strong tourist attraction!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison