Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone following any of the World Cup?  (Read 6036 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Anyone following any of the World Cup?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:23 am »
I love the World Cup. There's nothing like it for spectacle and drama, as far as I am concerned. Soccer is just like any other sport as far as grasping nuance, I think. I think I enjoy the free flow of the game the most, especially missing all the commercials at halftime. So much of the game depends an being able to anticipate what your team mate is going to do.

I brewed up a couple of special beers for USA-England. I mixed English and American ingredients, with decent success. It was one wort, two boils. One was  ESBish with Wyeast 1272. It still lets the Fuggles and Goldings shine. The other was an APA with Wyeast 1318. In retrospect, a different yeast would have worked better but it still tastes good.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »
I've watched more soccer in the past two-weeks than my previous lifetime. OK... maybe NOT but it's been fun watching all of the great games. I even skipped a class or two to catch the England v. Algeria game at the conference hotel bar last Friday. Good stuff!  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 11:13:23 pm »
This Thursday morning Italia was losing 2-0 until the last 10 minutes until Italia came through and scored in the last 10 minutes against Slovakia making 2 goals, 2-2.  Then Slovakia scored with 2 minutes left making it 3-2. So Italia lost and Slovakia won. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 11:25:18 pm »
I'm just hoping USA does well enough to show we aren't totally behind the times when it comes to Football... I mean Soccer. There's a big difference in public interest compared to 10 years ago. And with all these kids growing up with (it) we may be a force to be reckoned with some day.

Go USA!!!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 06:05:26 am »
There's a big difference in public interest compared to 10 years ago.
Go USA!!!

Big difference in Census figures compared to 10 years ago.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:13 pm »
I'm at a conference this weekend and the only thing I absolutely have to attend coincides with the first half of the US - Ghana game >:(
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:47 pm »
Go Slovakia!
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 01:39:32 am »
I usually root for team USA until we are out and then whatever other anglophonic country is still in (except Canada). This year I will be excited if USA goes past Ghana, because England has no chance of beating Germany. As a red blooded American,I tend not to like soccer much, but I have too many friends abroad who live and die for it, so I relish any and all opportunities to run athletic victories in their faces. Also, all my south American and Mexican (not Mexican-American) friends root for the Yankees, which drives me crazy (Oakland fan).