Author Topic: most common off-flavors  (Read 5645 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: most common off-flavors
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
oh god I would imagine that to absolutely awful.  That's like saying, "Hey have you tried this drink ipecac?  Or ever tried ipecac syrup pancakes?"
The Family Guy "Ipecac Chugging Contest" bit is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV.

And tasting Hop Shot isn't particularly pleasant, and will indeed stick around for a good, long while, but it is nothing crazy like eating a ghost pepper.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
It's not just on the jowls and it's not oily or greasy.  What I'm getting from these beers is an almost cottony coating of my mouth and teeth and a real grape skin like dryness in my mouth.  I guess there's no way of knowing if it's from the hops or high pH, but since the beer is almost gritty I'm guessing hops.

The way you describe it, it does sound like astringency.  Guess I might need to take one for the team and go buy some crappy NE IPA to know for sure.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
It's not just on the jowls and it's not oily or greasy.  What I'm getting from these beers is an almost cottony coating of my mouth and teeth and a real grape skin like dryness in my mouth.  I guess there's no way of knowing if it's from the hops or high pH, but since the beer is almost gritty I'm guessing hops.

Interesting. I can't say I've had many of these NEIPA type beers, but I have had my fair share of beers with fine hop particles in the beer. I can't say that I've picked up on astringency, but it could be that the rough "raw hop" bitterness was too distracting to notice the mouthfeel.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
With all the oats and wheat in there I wonder if the crapload of suspended proteins are contributing to some of that too?
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »
With all the oats and wheat in there I wonder if the crapload of suspended proteins are contributing to some of that too?

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that.  Proteins and starches are not astringent.  Tannins are.  Hops do contain tannins, but they're typically not extracted unless water quality is super terrible or perhaps if way too much is used and added like a friggin puree, like in these NE IPAs.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that.  Proteins and starches are not astringent.  Tannins are.  Hops do contain tannins, but they're typically not extracted unless water quality is super terrible or perhaps if way too much is used and added like a friggin puree, like in these NE IPAs.

Right. I know that wit (for example) isn't astringent. Just wondered if the high hopping levels combined with lots of suspended protein could be combining to cause this. Or as Denny said, maybe pH control is just plain sloppy. That makes more sense.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »

I don't know if there are oats and wheat in the beers I've got.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »

Maybe a tablespoon of flour per 5 gallons.  I hear of people advocating that a bit.
Dave

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »

I don't either, Denny. I've seen several alleged clone recipes for some of those and all I've seen use ~ 20% flaked oats, sometimes wheat too. Doesn't mean that's what you had.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »

Maybe a tablespoon of flour per 5 gallons.  I hear of people advocating that a bit.

Maybe anything, but I just can't say for certain.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 04:17:25 PM »
A gritty beer just sounds unpleasant. Mouthfeel is important imo.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

All of those are ingredients I've heard used.  It's a significant part of the haze.  Mistakenly assumed to be suspended yeast in a lot of them (proteins and hop matter are the haze).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »

All of those are ingredients I've heard used.  It's a significant part of the haze.  Mistakenly assumed to be suspended yeast in a lot of them (proteins and hop matter are the haze).

If that's true, I'm more mystified than ever about why you'd want haze.  So far, I haven't found any positives to the hazy beers. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
If that's true, I'm more mystified than ever about why you'd want haze.  So far, I haven't found any positives to the hazy beers.
Maybe "juiciness" is its own reward  ;)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »

I like some of them, even something like Tired Hands Punge that was extremely unappealing visually.  They use those tricks to give it some mouthfeel.  I wasn't as big a fan of Surly Wet due to the hop polyphenols.