Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Remaining NHC sites  (Read 4810 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Remaining NHC sites
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »
Nashville exported the cider/mead categories?  Do you know where they went?

Indy.  In capable hands.

Wow!  That is crazy.  I have never heard of them doing this before.  I have heard of them needing to call in judges from other regions to help complete the task, but not this. Interesting...
IIRC, they had the same issue last year though not as bad. Us judges ain't stupid. We aren't going to crappily run comps anymore. Let's hope that there are other sites that the AHA can choose from for 2017 First Round besides Nashville.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 10:56:51 pm »
We used to do it years ago with San Diego shipping entries up to LA for judging, but San Diego has enough judges to do all that on their own now while we're busy tackling our own big comps.

Same with us up here in Seattle.  We used to have to split the comp between Seattle and Portland because neither had enough judges.  We've concentrated on recruiting/training new judges up here, and now we never have a problem getting enough judges any more.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »
We used to do it years ago with San Diego shipping entries up to LA for judging, but San Diego has enough judges to do all that on their own now while we're busy tackling our own big comps.

Same with us up here in Seattle.  We used to have to split the comp between Seattle and Portland because neither had enough judges.  We've concentrated on recruiting/training new judges up here, and now we never have a problem getting enough judges any more.
I can vouch as a non club member, middle of no where, who's that guy... guy, that the Seattle judge scene is awesome. Great people who are very inclusive, willing to share info, and don't snub the newbies. This is a must have trait for anything voluntary that wants to grow. You can't be thinking you are too cool or important, and expect new folks to worship yoir awesomeness and tollerate the snubbing as they work their way up to usefulness. This is beer judging, not prospecting for the Hells Angels.

Kudos Seattle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 07:05:33 am »
They should probably move the Nashville site to a larger city. Maybe Atlanta. Atlanta could draw judges from Florida, the Carolinas, and the Deep South.

Judges from the south will drive to Atlanta just as easily as the would Nashville.

I think this region (the Deep South) likely has a smaller number of judges to draw from. Tennessee sits on top of Alabama and Mississippi. We just got legalized Homebrewing less than 3 years ago and we are in the Bible Belt.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 07:13:27 am »

Same here in KC, but to a smaller extent to far. We have enough local judges to cover a 500-600 bottle comp at 7-8 beers a judge pair without a problem. But it wasn't always like that. Our judge pool has grown 400% in the past two years because of recruitment, education, and a concerted effort to grow the pool (making it easier on all of us).

If we do a little recruitment of our semi-local judge friends, we can easier cover any size beer comp. Hell, at our big comp (600 entries) this past February we had flight sizes in the 3s for some people. Average beers per judge pair was 5.1 beers per flight. Going from 20ish active judges locally to that, it was awesome seeing tangible evidence of the hard work we had all put in over the past years.

And our mead exam results should be in soon, so we will go from 0 Mead Judges to 12! Woot!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 01:52:40 pm »
They should probably move the Nashville site to a larger city. Maybe Atlanta. Atlanta could draw judges from Florida, the Carolinas, and the Deep South.

Judges from the south will drive to Atlanta just as easily as the would Nashville.

I think this region (the Deep South) likely has a smaller number of judges to draw from. Tennessee sits on top of Alabama and Mississippi. We just got legalized Homebrewing less than 3 years ago and we are in the Bible Belt.
Hi all,

The selection of the competition sites pretty much depends on having a core group of people step up (contact the AHA) to organize the competition locally.  Volunteers need to have an adequate pool of BJCP judges in the region for the competition.  Volunteers pick the judging date from a range of dates available (March through April), and they need to make sure they don't have competing competitions, festivals, beer week events, spring break, or other conflicts that could hurt their chances to complete the competition.

That being said, there will be site changes for the 2017 NHC, as there are inevitably every year.  Florida has requested to be an NHC First Round site next year, as has Kansas City.  Typically the AHA gives first right of refusal to the existing sites. 

Thanks to all of the people who have volunteered to put on the NHC over the last 10 years!  I really, really appreciate your enthusiasm, and effort, and most importantly, your time and devotion to homebrewing.  Cheers to you!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline sweetcell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 07:36:56 pm »
so judging in philly happened this past weekend (april 8-10).  when can we expect results to be posted?  how many days has it taken other locations to complete the process?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:45 pm »
so judging in philly happened this past weekend (april 8-10).  when can we expect results to be posted?  how many days has it taken other locations to complete the process?
Seattle was quick. About a week

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 05:18:14 am »

[/quote]

Jim is right, the turn around so far has been pretty darn fast... about a week. However, so far this year, I think there has only been one or two competitions to verify each week.  This week, there are a lot more competitions to verify.  I think there were 4 competitions to verify... compared to one or two the past few weeks... so it may take a tad longer due to the increased volume of paper to sift through this week!   

However, I am constantly impressed by how well orgainized this competition is, and how hard everyone works to get the results out to us hopefuls! 

Here's to hoping they contiue to far exceede expectations! ;D  (and save some wear and tear on the web pages refresh button)
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 06:36:41 am »

STL results were posted on the following Friday morning, along with Seattle and NYC.  Indy also posted the following Friday morning I think. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:19 am »

STL results were posted on the following Friday morning, along with Seattle and NYC.  Indy also posted the following Friday morning I think.
Austin posted theirs on Thursday the 7th.