Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storage temperature of pale ale upon bottling  (Read 1993 times)

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
Storage temperature of pale ale upon bottling
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:25:31 am »
I made the mistake of not following up on instructions so when I bottled my 5 gallon batch of pale ale, I stored it in my laundry closet for the first 36 hours. The laundry closet has been at about 50 degrees during this span. Then I re-read the directions and saw that it should be in a room temperature dark place, not a cool dark place.

I have since moved to my bedroom closet which will be 68-70 degrees.

How much damage have I done? Will it still carbonate - in other words will the yeast come back from that chilly state and feed on that priming sugar?

Thanks

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Storage temperature of pale ale upon bottling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:45:39 am »
It should still carbonate, but you may want to roll each bottle around individually to get the yeast back into suspension: if it sat cold and all your yeast fell out of suspension, its going to be a necessary step to get it going again
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:55:08 am »
It should still carbonate, but you may want to roll each bottle around individually to get the yeast back into suspension: if it sat cold and all your yeast fell out of suspension, its going to be a necessary step to get it going again

Thanks! I will roll each bottle. Sounds like a plan!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:58:30 am »
Think about it this way. We use yeast that has been in a fridge...

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:26 am »
Think about it this way. We use yeast that has been in a fridge...
Right but we work hard to wake it up from its quiescent state before or while we use it. Te bottle rolling method came to me here from morticaixavier a couple years ago when I had the same fears. I usually do it for most of my batches just to make sure the yeasties keep working. Necessary, probably not. reassuring and not very time consuming, yes. Just a little insurance and in theory should help speed the process. Give them the best possible environment. Just my .02
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »
I think it's a fine idea. I was addressing the underlying idea that maybe the cooler temp might be detrimental to the yeast. I bet they are fine. I've cold crashed to 30F and gell fined before bottle conditioning and saw no carbonation problems, so 50 ought to be OK
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:37:55 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »
I think it's a fine idea. I was addressing the underlying idea that maybe the cooler temp might be detrimental to the yeast. I bet they are fine. I've cold crashed to 30F and gell fined before bottle conditioning and saw no carbonation problems, so 50 ought to be OK
All good to know Jim. I dont do any gel fining, so I guess there is a lot more yeast still in suspension than I realized
Frank L.

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »
All good to know Jim. I dont do any gel fining, so I guess there is a lot more yeast still in suspension than I realized

I rolled those bottles gently to wake the sediment up on the bottom of the bottle. I can actually see carbonation already beginning in most all bottles. Thanks for the advice!