Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to prepare Vanilla Beans?  (Read 15597 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: How to prepare Vanilla Beans?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 11:58:32 am »
add just enough vodka to cover completely.

~1/2 to 3/4 an ounce in 5+ gallons hasn't added heat to my big, dark beers.

I don't deny that it might be something in my method.  There are so many people who swaer by tinctures that it seems it must be me.  OTOH, I haven't found a need for them, either, so I don't really have any incentive to try again.

The last beer I made using this technique just netted scores of 43 and 45 so while I may be tool for bringing that up, I'm feeling pretty good about my process. YMMV.

I don't believe that is tool-ism. I do believe that it helps us as homebrewers to confirm we are headed in the right path with a recipe or process.  Some like to compete, while others are fine without. It is all a part of honing our craft and why else would there be a judge certification program then? Congrats on those scores, BTW. Did you get lucky with any medals on those?

Thank you, I appreciate that. Yes, the scores were for the same beer, and earned it a gold. :)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
Awesome!  Way to bring it strong!

I for one, don't have a ton of knowledgable people to sample my beers living by me. So competitions are a great way to get "unbiased" feedback on certain brews. Earning a medal along the way helps to validate all the hard work sometimes...

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »
I am one +1 for tinctures with rum, but agreed that you can get good to great results with both methods mentioned.  I think there is limited risk of infection as long as it is a normal gravity brew and the beans are kept well.  If you would be willing to eat it, you should be willing to put it in a primary/secondary.  The yeasts do a good job of providing a healthy atmosphere once it has reached AA%.

Good luck on your brew!  post your selected method/results/reviews for us to see.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)