Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Chicago members  (Read 2359 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Hey Chicago members
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »
Going to be in town this weekend for a birthday. Getting in late Fri leaving Sun afternoon.  Leaves Saturday night and the plan right now is Moxee Restaurant/ Mad Mouse Brewery. Any thoughts or comments from the local crowd?
Edit to correct my mistake
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:38:31 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Hey Chicago members
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
That part of town you need to get a polish from Jims. Maxwell street style. Head on over to Mannys deli for a corned beef.  Taylor street for dinner. Rosals is good. But there are also some fancier places.  Can't think of them right now.

Catch some blues somewhere. Plenty of joints for that.

If you want to head up north you can hit the half acre tap house. Metropolitan brewing is not far from there. Then swing over to the Hopleaf and order whatever tap they have dedicated to Kegs for Kids. All $$ go to my kids school. Kegs are donated and rotate weekly I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:55 pm »
Thanks Joe, I'll see what I can talk everyone into. Have you tried any of the beer from Mad Mouse? I know we will be there. Only a couple house brews and some guest taps from the website.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »
Never heard of them before. It's years since I've been down to the maxwell street/south campus area. But I have history there.  That area is so different than it was its unreal.

Mannys is the place. No lie. Old school deli. Corned beefs are at least a pound of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:07 am »
It also occurred to me that you're not going to be too far from the Lagunitas brewery.  It's a pretty cool facility, though it was one of the weakest brewery tours I've had.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:35 am »
+1 to Jim's for a Polish with everything along the frontage to the highway.
+1 to Manny's although I've never been there on a weekend.  Part of the charm of Manny's is the politicians.
 Taylor Street for Italian is great although I have not been To Rosals.

You could also go to Goose Island's taproom on Fulton to see what the non-Budweiser brewery is up to.  You could then walk to All Rise on Fulton, which I have not been to, eat at the Publican (reservations needed for this gastropub) and walk to Haymarket Brewery.

Lagunitas' taproom is a must see, plus you'll be amazed to discover that it makes malt-forward beers.  Lagunitas might also have a good band.

I have not heard of Mad Mouse; there are too many breweries and brewpubs to keep up.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:23 am »
Joe beat me to Lagunitas. I still haven't been there but it's on my list. I hadn't heard of Mad Mouse either.

We tried Corridor on Southport the other day and really liked it. It's small, so I imagine getting a table at dinner is a long wait. They do 32 oz cans to go, which is cool.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
Binny's: it's a love hate kind of thing. Love the selection and variety but hate dropping $260 on beer. Loaded up on Surly, FFF, Half Acre, and Pipeworks!
Frank L.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 05:08:37 pm »
Binny's: it's a love hate kind of thing. Love the selection and variety but hate dropping $260 on beer. Loaded up on Surly, FFF, Half Acre, and Pipeworks!

Pipeworks = Good Stuff.

Binny's was better when it was Sam's.

But I still spend too much there.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 07:50:28 pm »
Ok, Moxee and Mad Mouse Brewery was hit and miss. The Cajun food was wonderful for a table full of northerners. The flight of 4 house beers was mediocre at best, with the cream ale shining in comparison to the sub part kolsch and the pale ales were not exciting either. Dinner was saved by a wonderful bottle of Rochefort 8 (my first in a long time). The location is in university village and we all agreed we would go back for the food. House beers, well, I would not have these 4 again
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 07:55:25 pm »
Here's the house drafts available tonight:

There are plenty of guest taps and a nice supply of Belgian bottles: Duvel, Dupont, Rochefort 8&10, Chimay Red, wittekerke, Orval, Rodenbach Grand Cru, etc
Frank L.