Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split batch different dry hops  (Read 3930 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Split batch different dry hops
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:50:01 pm »
I have an IPA I collected a little too much wort on (6G).  I did a bunch of research about dry hopping and am a bit psyched to try some stuff.  Think I might rack into 2 5G carboys and try different dry hops in each.  I am sort of the opinion that the dry hop might play a larger role in IPAs than the whirlpool.  I deliberately backed off the whirlpool for this.  Curious if anyone has done this and has an opinion.  Any thoughts appreciated. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Split batch different dry hops
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:55:18 pm »
IMO, dry hopping is superior to whirlpool additions for aroma and I think I prefer the hop flavor from dry hopping also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »
For hopstands, I have had varying results (likely due to my own procedural mistakes) and don't like that it makes my brew session longer. I am considering just increasing my dry hop amounts and forgoing the hopstand completely.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »
For hopstands, I have had varying results (likely due to my own procedural mistakes) and don't like that it makes my brew session longer. I am considering just increasing my dry hop amounts and forgoing the hopstand completely.

You and me both, buddy!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »
I get more aroma from a 15 minute 170F whirlpool than the same hops at Flameout. If I add another addition at 120F I get even more aroma. But if I move the 120F to a 4 day dry hop at the end of fermentation I get even more aroma. There is not only a increase in hop aroma quantity at each difference, but also a slight change of character between them.

If I were brewing a hoppy beer and could only do a bittering charge at 60 and only one other addition, I would choose 15min at 170. But, obviously we can do whatever we want, so my favorite IPA method is 15min at 170, + 0min at 120, + dry hop.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:47:13 pm »
I've found one isn't a replacement for another. I do like whirlpool additions. I just use tap and recirculate to drop the temp. I quit doing timed whirlpools because it didn't add much IMO. Dry hopping is the best flavor and aroma. No contest for me. I've tried every way there is to add dry hops. I like to bag them anymore, and add to the keg. I too split every batch. Only way to find what you like it to try them yourself. Brewing IPA Saturday actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:57:54 pm »
I have an IPA I collected a little too much wort on (6G).  I did a bunch of research about dry hopping and am a bit psyched to try some stuff.  Think I might rack into 2 5G carboys and try different dry hops in each.  I am sort of the opinion that the dry hop might play a larger role in IPAs than the whirlpool.  I deliberately backed off the whirlpool for this.  Curious if anyone has done this and has an opinion.  Any thoughts appreciated.

so every now and then I get lucky and have a little more than what fits into 2 kegs and get to fill a SS growler (equipped with a corny gas in and picnic tap) with the 'leftovers'.  recently I got some extra house IPA and carbed it up, drank a few days later.  I was astonished at how much hop aroma and flavor the beer had pre-dryhop, all from the whirlpool additions.

One of the dryhopped kegs went on tap sunday evening, and I was equally surprised at how different the beer has become with the dryhop.

My opinion is that neither method is superior, and in fact, 1+1 might equal 3 here.

I do hate the extra brew day time though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »
My opinion is that neither method is superior, and in fact, 1+1 might equal 3 here.

Yep. I like the whirlpool flavor and dry hop aroma best (though whirlpool aroma is nice).
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:55:52 pm »
I am constantly tinkering with my late additions. I don't think you can match the intensity of hop flavor from a whirlpool in dry hops, but the character is definitely different. I also don't think you can match the intensity of hop aroma that you get from dry hops in the whirlpool. For me I am going with more whirlpool and less dry hops for simplicity sake, but when you want intense hop aroma and flavor, you really need both.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
Good stuff guys.  Happy to see confirmation "dry hop adds flavor" since this is pretty much what I am testing.  In the past I hit the whirlpool hard and kinda held back on the dry hop.  Good beers but felt something was missing.  Current thought is a split with galaxy in one and 50/50 cents/cascade in other (matches the hopstand).   

I am overdue to go old school and try a 15m addition over the hopstand and will probably try next time.  I would love to save some time cutting the hopstand out but I am pretty fortunate the technique works well for me.  I do high temp 30m with regular stirring.  Stirring being the key. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:41:49 pm »
The IPA I'm brewing this weekend has 9 oz in whirlpool for 20 min @ 170. I'm dry hopping half 10 gallons with 5 oz. The last time I made it I actually liked the non-dry hopped version. Not so much because of the hops from whirlpool, but because the dry hops had an added bitterness bite. I like the dry hop aroma, but whirlpool flavor. I bought whole cones for dry hops in this batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 08:20:51 am »
Ooooh.  Dry hops added bitterness...  Nice, I tend to agree, also something I hope happens in this test.  I've done a pound in the whirlpool for 5G and it was nothing magical.  I have been brewing a long time and still cannot pull off world class IPAs at home.  Pretty much the only thing I've not done without incorporating a pump is really hit the dry hop hard and that's what I am ruling out on this one. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:47 am »
Ooooh.  Dry hops added bitterness...  Nice, I tend to agree, also something I hope happens in this test.  I've done a pound in the whirlpool for 5G and it was nothing magical.  I have been brewing a long time and still cannot pull off world class IPAs at home.  Pretty much the only thing I've not done without incorporating a pump is really hit the dry hop hard and that's what I am ruling out on this one.

Dry hops do not add bitterness per se.  There are no IBUs that can be measured from them.  But they do contribute tannins, which you might be perceiving as bitterness.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 10:46:25 am »

Dry hops do not add bitterness per se.  There are no IBUs that can be measured from them.  But they do contribute tannins, which you might be perceiving as bitterness.

Agreed. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:28:03 am »
I am at day 5 of the dry hop.  A little excitement...  Out of nowhere, the nelson/chinook batch smells REALLY NICE now despite smelling like dry grass for 3-4 days prior.  Getting a bit excited on that one.  Quite
bizarre is that the beers look totally different too.  NS/Chinook is much cloudier.  I am doing my best to really swirl the carboys about 2x a day to rouse the hops.  I am just going by smell here with no regard to time...
Sam
Sandusky, OH