Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: strange flavor after bottling  (Read 5293 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: strange flavor after bottling
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 06:49:21 am »
OK stoopid question: how do you sanitize the gas line? Will I not have to call the fire brigade to save me when I connect it to the liquid line?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:55 am »
I use the beer gun gas line that came with it. I simply soak it in star san for 2 minutes prior to attaching it to the beer gun and my CO2 tank.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 06:59:21 am »
Ah so not the inside of the line itself...
Frank P.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 07:47:09 am »
Yes, when I soak it I make sure that starsan fills the whole CO2 line sanitizing the inside.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 08:58:43 am »
This conversation shows a lot about why "gas line sanitization" is just one of those things that I've never felt fully comfortable with. None of us works in a completely aseptic environment, so admittedly there is always some level of contamination in homebrew (and probably all beer if we're talking about counting cells). The trick seems to be keeping the unwanted organisms to a minimum.

With that said, the best way I can think about it is that:

• "The front end" of yeast propagation is the most dangerous place for contamination, as you will grow most unwanted organisms right along with your yeast (this is why I worry about the inside of the oxygenation tubing as I sometimes oxygenate starters before putting them on the stir plate)
  • "The front end" of fermentation seems like the next big danger area, as you're preparing for another growth phase and dumping your microbes into an all you can eat buffet (this is why I worry about the inside of the oxygenation tubing)
  • Packaging seems less concerning than the rest of these environments as the conditions for multiplication inside packaged beer aren't as favorable as the other environments; However, anyone who has ever seen a gusher knows it's still quite possible to screw this up

Bringing it back to the OP's question, it seems like we've had several people convinced that dirty gas lines on the beer gun could be the cause of their issues. This seems plausible to me, but applying Occam's Razor it seems like a gas line at packaging is the least likely place to go looking for a contamination source unless you've thoroughly eliminated the more likely possibilities first.

As for whether I will run sanitizer through the inside of my oxygenation line after all this -- probably not. I leave it connected to the tank and clean/sanitize the wand and outside of the line already. It seems like pulling it apart might create more opportunities for contamination than leaving it alone (unless I somehow managed to get beer inside the line, in which case I'd just buy new tubing and start over).

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:15 am »
Do you have another sanitizer to try? I know most folks don't have issues with star-san, but since it doesn't work particularly well on yeast and mold there's always the possibility that this could be you issue.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 03:36:02 pm »
Maybe the off flavors come from the sanitizer itself?

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

This is what I thought, StarSan is extreme low pH that could lend into the sourness of the beer.  I know it is a "no rinse" sanitizer by that is why I am moving away from it in bottling.  Maybe the bottles did not drain out enough...  IDK just speculation.  next time try a different sanitizer when you bottle?  How was the Quaffable Porter? Kegged?  I don't remember your update but I remember you working out your recipe... What direction did you go for?  Brown, Baltic, Robust ??
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »
While starsan is low pH, the total amount of acid is quite small. I think your worrying about nothing.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »
I agree that an iodophor solution is warranted on the tubing and fermenters to best avoid any prior or wild yeast - especially in warm months and when re-pitching ales.  I haven't had issues with the CO2 tubing, but it could happen.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline salcedo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2016, 11:34:20 am »
While starsan is low pH, the total amount of acid is quite small. I think your worrying about nothing.
Yeah, it was just a thought. I sanitize my bottles with starsan then put them on a bottle tree just before filling from the keg. I've never noticed any sourness, but some people's tastebuds are more sensitive than others.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:59 am »
Has anyone used this? http://beverageequipmentcompany.com/caustic-beer-line-cleaners/11479-13-oz-tm-desana-max-per-packet.html

Contains:
- sodium hydroxide: caustic soda
- tripotassium ortophosphate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripotassium_phosphate
- disodium peroxodisulphate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_persulfate

The interesting aspect is that it uses "color change technology to let you know when your lines are totally clean. "
Frank P.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
Yeah, it was just a thought. I sanitize my bottles with starsan then put them on a bottle tree just before filling from the keg. I've never noticed any sourness, but some people's tastebuds are more sensitive than others.
If you've ever accidentally sucked any StarSan through a siphon you'll notice the taste. It's a little difficult to describe, but at the proper concentration I'd describe it as  degassed club soda that has been concentrated. More soda-like and salty than sour to my taste.