Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sima Finnish fermented lemonade  (Read 5566 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
sima Finnish fermented lemonade
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:42:21 am »
Has anyone ever tried to make sima? http://www.everintransit.com/sima-recipe-finnish-fermented-lemonade/ - with the brown sugar, the non-descript yeast and the procedure itself it looks like a brewer's nightmare...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: sima Finnish fermented lemonade
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:46:39 am »
Has anyone ever tried to make sima? http://www.everintransit.com/sima-recipe-finnish-fermented-lemonade/ - with the brown sugar, the non-descript yeast and the procedure itself it looks like a brewer's nightmare...
It looks good except for the yeast. I think I would swap out the brown sugar for honey too. I guess the idea of bread yeast is that it makes more co2 than alcohol?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:11:59 am »
I think it was originally made with honey, so that makes sense. Plus, in Finland they have some special type of bread yeast, that they use to make sahti.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:13:34 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:50:34 am »
I remember this stuff, but it was spelled with a Z instead of an S and it sucked...

But seriously, it just sounds like homemade ginger ale to me. More like a soda than a brew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »
What are the raisins for? For complexity?

Looks tasty. I'd do this in a PET bottle for safety concerns.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:24 pm »
I remember this stuff, but it was spelled with a Z instead of an S and it sucked...
Recalling the taste of Zima just induced psychosomatic nausea 20 years later. Thanks for that

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:47:01 am »
You are welcome. It's the only reason why I posted this. Obviously I'm not going to brew or touch this stuff.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:48:41 am »

The raisins tell you the stuff is ready when they float on top ;)

Not sure, some say flavor, some say minerals, some say  their skins originally provided the yeast....
Frank P.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:04:04 am »

But seriously, it just sounds like homemade ginger ale to me. More like a soda than a brew.

I recently started brewing soda with my daughter.  This recipe is similar to what we have made.  Zima...was just joking with my friend about brewing some...

A few of the recipes I have seen have raisins added to them. There wasn't a lot of info out there about it but some I found says raisins add flavor, add body and mouthfeel and help with clarity. 
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 10:08:28 am »
I'll be trying this. I already make a gingerbeer with lemons.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mary Izett

• 1st Kit
  • fermenter of many things
    • My Life on Craft
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
I love sima! I included a recipe for it in my book so I've made many, many batches and a whole lot of variations. I like to just refer to it as fermented lemonade. I make it with lemons, sugar and champagne yeast. You can also riff by adding other fruits, like strawberries or raspberries or blueberries, or herbs or spices (lemon & lavender are killer together). Or by making it with other citrus fruits - there are a TON of variations. I've served it at many public events and the keg always kicks fast, especially in the summer. It was originally made with honey and bread yeast or other native yeast (meaning not intentionally innoculated) but it's commonly made with sugar and commercial yeast these days (bread or other). Raisins were originally used in this & many other beverages (kvass, off the top of my head) - they would sink initially & float once fermentation/carbonation occurred - kind of a natural indicator of when it was ready (no hydrometers or PET bottles in the old days, right?). I usually keg my sima but use plastic if I'm doing batches less than 1.75 G (the size of my smallest kegs). It's a super easy & darn tasty beverage, especially for warmer months.
Author of Speed Brewing,
BJCP National Judge,
Co-Host of Fuhmentaboudit on Heritage Radio Network,
President, Cuzett Libations

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:22 am »
I love sima! I included a recipe for it in my book so I've made many, many batches and a whole lot of variations. I like to just refer to it as fermented lemonade. I make it with lemons, sugar and champagne yeast. You can also riff by adding other fruits, like strawberries or raspberries or blueberries, or herbs or spices (lemon & lavender are killer together). Or by making it with other citrus fruits - there are a TON of variations. I've served it at many public events and the keg always kicks fast, especially in the summer. It was originally made with honey and bread yeast or other native yeast (meaning not intentionally innoculated) but it's commonly made with sugar and commercial yeast these days (bread or other). Raisins were originally used in this & many other beverages (kvass, off the top of my head) - they would sink initially & float once fermentation/carbonation occurred - kind of a natural indicator of when it was ready (no hydrometers or PET bottles in the old days, right?). I usually keg my sima but use plastic if I'm doing batches less than 1.75 G (the size of my smallest kegs). It's a super easy & darn tasty beverage, especially for warmer months.
Thanks for the input, Mary! When you keg, do you force-carbonate? Or is this more along the lines of a homemade ginger beer where the fermentation is intended to create the carbonation?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 03:04:35 am »
Recalling the taste of Zima just induced psychosomatic nausea 20 years later. Thanks for that

Bloodhound Gang reference!
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 05:32:05 am »

Bloodhound Gang reference!
Nice!

Offline Mary Izett

• 1st Kit
  • fermenter of many things
    • My Life on Craft
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:00 am »
Thanks for the input, Mary! When you keg, do you force-carbonate? Or is this more along the lines of a homemade ginger beer where the fermentation is intended to create the carbonation?

I force carbonate. I do package before fermentation is finished. When I bottle, I condition naturally (another reason I love the plastic bottles) but force carb the kegs. I cold crash when it's to my liking (taste & gravity) then transfer & force carb. You could naturally condition your kegs but it's less predictable & takes more time so I don't typically do it.

Cheers!
Author of Speed Brewing,
BJCP National Judge,
Co-Host of Fuhmentaboudit on Heritage Radio Network,
President, Cuzett Libations