Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sima Finnish fermented lemonade  (Read 5509 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: sima Finnish fermented lemonade
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:14 am »
I'm definitely doing this in the summer. I like to have non or very low alcohol things around to drink because I will often have beer or mead simply because there isn't anything else I really like to drink around.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 11:32:49 am »
I just don't have faith in this sugar bread yeast thing. For beer this sux big time. Convince me and I may try it out.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 11:53:16 am »
I just don't have faith in this sugar bread yeast thing. For beer this sux big time. Convince me and I may try it out.
If I tried this I'd use a packet of Lalvin 71B instead. No need to follow tradition exactly if you see a way to tweak it to your tastes, AFAIC.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »
If I tried this I'd use a packet of Lalvin 71B instead. No need to follow tradition exactly if you see a way to tweak it to your tastes, AFAIC.
Yea I never considered doing this with bread yeast and sugar. I would use honey or maybe maple syrup and wine yeast or maybe us-05.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »
If you have it the tiny amount of bread yeast is fine guys. It wouldn't be if you were fermenting out a batch completely.

This is a fast yet not vigorous ferment in a low gravity situation- just enough to carbonate and leave the sweetness. The bread yeast actually complements the lemon. Also ginger if you add something like that. Admittedly, I wouldn't rush to the store just to buy bread yeast to make this. ;)

What's great about doing it in a PET bottle is you can feel how hard the bottle gets and judge how ready it is.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 05:32:04 am »
I contacted a Finnish ex-colleague, and she said she was making sima as we spoke. She uses 1/3 cane sugar, 1/3 white sugar and 1/3 brown sugar, plus lime and ginger. She doesn't like honey in it. Apparently the raisins are very important, I assume for the flavor. She uses plain baker's yeast, most often the simple dried stuff. She stores the closed bottles five days to a week, so the sima can become fizzy. She's never had any exploding bottles (the fact that she brings it up herself is a bit scary), but added that some people leave the bottles half open so superfluous CO2 can escape.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.