Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Master is too weak of a word  (Read 6389 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Master is too weak of a word
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 09:26:08 am »
The point is to justify that the values (IBUs, SRM, OG) that you are using agree with the targets.  Something easy to remember is the way to go.  Folks are familiar with Rager and  Tinseth, so using an easy method that agrees with those models is goodness.

Agreed.  When I was an exam grader, I accepted answers much more readily if the examinee stated their reasoning.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:23 pm »
The point is to justify that the values (IBUs, SRM, OG) that you are using agree with the targets.  Something easy to remember is the way to go.  Folks are familiar with Rager and  Tinseth, so using an easy method that agrees with those models is goodness.
Steve,

Is Single Infusion for everything going to cost points, if you explain why a single infusion will work? IE modern highly modified malts, maybe a specialty grain to mimich decoction, etc. Or to score high should you use decoction or step-mashing when traditional?

It sounds like my struggle will be with explaining how the recipe meets the style, and I think I can fix that with sentences like: "The grain bill provides 1.050 OG, 8 SRM copper color, and a moderate bready/light carmel flavor and aroma which are within range of the style. 1.010 FG is within range of the style and achieved by American yeast with 80% attenuation,  providing a clean fruity ale character, with low to no diacetyl." Etc etc

Yes? No? Maybe?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 06:39:59 am »
That's a pretty light response to earn 35% of the exam. Think:
My recipe meets aroma because...
My recipe meets appearance because...
etc

If you're contemplating a long drawn out formula to calculate IBU to get the points for hops in Stats and Ingredients, how long and complete should the answer be to earn a full 35% for how the recipe meets style?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 12:30:16 pm »

Agreed.  When I was an exam grader, I accepted answers much more readily if the examinee stated their reasoning.

So, for full points must one provide all data for arriving at IBU's, SRM and OG?
Or simply state what their numbers are based on and let exam graders check for themselves if desired?
Example of simple answer: IBU's are based on Tinseth Calculations, SRM based on Dan Morey method and OG based on 1.03XX ppg at 80% mash efficiency.
Note: the statement above is made with out AA/AAU and Lovibond numbers or hop/grain quantity because these would be captured in the recipe. itself

another question I have is:
 Is the requirement to provide/how to provide this data specified in the instructions to graders or is this an area left to the discretion of the exam grader?
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2016, 02:56:28 pm »
That's a pretty light response to earn 35% of the exam. Think:
My recipe meets aroma because...
My recipe meets appearance because...
etc

If you're contemplating a long drawn out formula to calculate IBU to get the points for hops in Stats and Ingredients, how long and complete should the answer be to earn a full 35% for how the recipe meets style?
Good point, thanks. But at the same time not verbose.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »
Yea, I guess this is a situation where the written exam is really not worth it for me....I know a fair amount about brewing, but memorizing so many details is just not worth the time.  We have libraries so that we can look up information. Committing it to memory just doesn't seem to be an exercise that can be justified in terms of use of time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 10:42:08 pm »
Rager is actually pretty easy to memorize:

if you can memorize the number 7462 and 50:

IBUs for 1 hop addition

IBUs = (OUNCES OF HOPS) * %UTILIZATION * %ALPHA * 7462
           -------------------------------------------------
                 VOLUME(gallons) * (1 + GA)

if wort OG is <= 1.050 then GA = 0
otherwise:
GA = (BOIL_GRAVITY - 1.050)
     ----------------------

Then, for the utilization constant, just assume 30% at 60 mins, 10% at 15, and 0% at 0.

See, it really is not that hard and it will get you full points because its close enough.
By boil gravity do you mean pre-boil or post boil? I am going with 5 gallons and calculating as though everything is 1.050... just to keep my head from exploding. I figure that if HBUs are sufficient... this ought to work.

Another interesting thing I found by playing with my strike temp app. If you stick with 1.5 qts per lb, and room temp grain (68f), then a strike temp of 10F over target is pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:29:04 am by klickitat jim »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2016, 09:36:34 am »
It assumes OG
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:19:15 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:05 pm »
Im working on getting quicker at writing the recipe answer while still getting all of info on paper. One thing that is slowing me down is hand calculating all the formulas. Can you just write the formula and result, doing the math on a simple calculator? Or do you have to write out all calculations?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 06:36:22 am »
You don't need to show your work.

I require fewer calculations than many but I do demand your numbers be close to right.

As for previous discussion on how fits the style, include this everywhere. When listing ingredients, xx malt/yeast/etc for yy character. xx mash/sparge/ferm temp for yy result. Show independent thought too, rather than regurgitation of the same recipes.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2016, 10:31:28 am »
another question I have is:
 Is the requirement to provide/how to provide this data specified in the instructions to graders or is this an area left to the discretion of the exam grader?

The written exam grading is more discretionary at the grader level. There are no rubrics or other detailed instructions given to the graders for it, compared to the scoring guide for the judging exam. There are the percentage breakouts of the questions to guide grading, as well as some holistic advice in the Exam Scoring Guide. For example, the guide says a national-level written exam "indicates good knowledge of all subjects. Some errors are allowable, but there are no significant gaps and most of the answers demonstrate depth."

From my experience grading written exams, errors, lack of depth and lack of independent thought are all big factors that frequently drive scores down. Depth does not mean long-winded; it's knowing when it is important to drill deeper into an area that is critical to answering the question.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 01:50:43 pm »
If the recipe question is worth 20 points of the exam, ask yourself how many points are formulas worth looking at where formulas influence the exam. I think you may conclude rote memorization of formulas and working the math would be better put on the page as a quick statement and move on to where points can be accumulated. If you take more than 20 minutes to answer the recipe question you will not complete the exam.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »
Thanks guys
I gave it a test run and I'm at about 22 minutes. I think I'll get it down there with a little more practice

Edit: I just did German Pils in 16 min. I did not think that would be possible when I first started... took more like 30 LOL
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:30:36 pm by klickitat jim »