Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck lager (couple of points sg) need advice.  (Read 10849 times)

narvin

Re: Stuck lager (couple of points sg) need advice.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »
We must be at an impasse then, cause I feel the same about yours!

However, what you quoted has no insinuation that I was speaking about your beer. I just stated facts about warm fermentation, and temperature ramps... They are not my facts, but German brewing facts. I urge you to pick up a German brewing textbook and fact check it! I could very well be wrong ;)

Edit: Denny, it's funny you bring up what I am doing to prove to you. Actually the answer to the million dollar "question" came up eons ago on HBD, and I'll be damned if it wasn't solved then as well! I may have saw your name there a few times as well ;)

Are you actually German?  I really can't tell if you're like the girl who goes to England for 3 months and comes back with an affectation, or just died hard Deutch.

Yes, you read the scientific literature, that's fantastic.  I can show you 10 studies that, in isolation, seem to come to 10 different conclusions, but the taste of a beer is a complex beast.  There's a lot to learn from brewing texts, but it's very hard to make a single change AND be able categorically show that it's the necessary AND sufficient condition to get a specific flavor in the output.

It's also cute how you think that anyone who doesn't buy what you're selling also has never identified the unique and delicious flavors of a continental beer.  Again, I can't tell if you're just full of German patriotism, or just kind of sheltered.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:40:34 pm by narvin »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:25 pm »
Do a step mash if you didn't; try 60 minutes at 145F, step to 162F for another 60 minutes.

I can't go anywhere without seeing this now. Beta is only active for a max of 30 minutes ;)
Don't wink at me dude. You were pushing for 60 minutes for both rests not more than a month ago, before you kicked all of us off your forum. You still don't know anything more than we do, you just purport that you do. So if you're going to be this way, just keep to yourself, otherwise join the discussion in a friendly AND helpful manner. Get rid of the smugness. You're not making any friends.

Sorry if this is going to get this thread closed, OP, but this is getting ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:40:00 pm by beersk »
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 02:42:56 pm »
Do a step mash if you didn't; try 60 minutes at 145F, step to 162F for another 60 minutes.

I can't go anywhere without seeing this now. Beta is only active for a max of 30 minutes ;)
Don't wink at me dude. You were pushing for 60 minutes for both rests not more than a month ago, before you kicked all of us off your forum. You still don't know anything more than we do, you just purport that you do. So if you're going to be this way, just keep to yourself, otherwise join the discussion in a friendly AND helpful manner. Get rid of the smugness. You're not making any friends.

Sorry if this is going to get this thread closed, OP, but this is getting ridiculous.

I really don't think you're the one who derailed the thread.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 02:58:17 pm »
Namaste bros, namaste.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:12 pm »
Namaste bros, namaste.
I know, I'm namaste now. I over reacted and I'm sorry. But still...I don't like the negativity and the judgment. It needs to be educational and friendly not secretive and smug.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 03:57:25 pm »
.I don't like the negativity and the judgment. It needs to be educational and friendly not secretive and smug.

Yep. Denny gets a lot of things right and this is one of them - beer and homebrewing are social and fun, and if it's not for you, then you're doing it wrong. Never fails to amaze me the mindset of a troll.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:59:07 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 05:01:17 pm »
Ignore it rather than feed it

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »
You guys make me laugh.

Beersk, if I don't know anything why did you follow my advice ;)   I see you have some hurt feelings you didn't make the cut. But I think it's quite obvious you know why. ;)

Narvin, why you get so angry over beer!  Isn't that the opposite of what you preach. I have zero anger in what I say. You all are fueled with rage. Ironic isn't. It's like the world is flat all over again!

It's that same closed mindedness that will never allow you to reach what you seek.

For the record it's not some secret ingredient, or some mash, or some fermentation.  It's as a simple as breathing... But it's overlooked by all but the best  8)

I also fail to see how l derailed the thread. That was one of your own. I gave answers to questions.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »
Is it as simple as one enjoying the smell of ones own farts?

Seriously, being a dick and rubbing in that somebody wasn't invited to your private forum isn't doing anybody any good.

I feel bad for the OP. This garbage tends to happen on posts by new members.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:47 pm »
I also think your fine.  That said, seems like you dropped temps a bit more aggressively than I recall.  I thought it was like a 2-3F than 9F.  In any event, I think the traditional cool method is antiquated but by all means, triple decoct using undermodified malt and lager all summer if you are into it.  Heck, dig a system of caverns under your basement while you're at it  ;D

2 hour mashes?!  I am trying to cram the entire brew into 2 hours...  Jesse, did you try shorter rests and found that you prefer then longer?  I am pretty happy with my uber hochkuz (15m) but I plan to try "a REAL LONG rest" of 30m :o to see if I see improvement.

The rule is 1c.

Traditional cool is FAR from antiquated. INFACT! The accelerated warm that is spoken as gospel is actually only supposed to ever be used in CCV's where you are fermenting under pressure, which suppresses the ester formation.  ;)

I can assure you the idea of short changing a brewday, is not going to get you where you need to be in regards to German lagers. There is no point in even doing an Alpha rest if its isn't above 71ish, and for at least 60 minutes. So maybe I just helped you shave more time! :)

Bryan, you've never tried any of my lagers where I do the accelerated fermentation and and single step mash.  How do you know they're missing anything?  And we've never tried yours....hell, you won't even tell us what you're doing so we can try it ourselves.  I fond it hard to take your advice seriously.

We must be at an impasse then, cause I feel the same about yours!

However, what you quoted has no insinuation that I was speaking about your beer. I just stated facts about warm fermentation, and temperature ramps... They are not my facts, but German brewing facts. I urge you to pick up a German brewing textbook and fact check it! I could very well be wrong ;)

Edit: Denny, it's funny you bring up what I am doing to prove to you. Actually the answer to the million dollar "question" came up eons ago on HBD, and I'll be damned if it wasn't solved then as well! I may have saw your name there a few times as well ;)

Bryan, you have become so full of yourself I can't take you serious any longer. That is sad because I used to have some respect for you as a brewer. You should go back to your forum and stay there. You don't have anything to offer here since you won't share anything but gloating on how fncking smart you are. You have simply become a troll. If you think you sound smarter than everyone else, you are delusional.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:30 pm »

I also fail to see how l derailed the thread. That was one of your own. I gave answers to questions.

You're doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »
Seems like someone associated with an old German "club". If your not like me you are inferior...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:37 pm »
Seems like someone associated with an old German "club". If your not like me you are inferior...
Too far bro.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 06:50:03 am »
You guys make me laugh.

Beersk, if I don't know anything why did you follow my advice ;)   I see you have some hurt feelings you didn't make the cut. But I think it's quite obvious you know why. ;)

Narvin, why you get so angry over beer!  Isn't that the opposite of what you preach. I have zero anger in what I say. You all are fueled with rage. Ironic isn't. It's like the world is flat all over again!

It's that same closed mindedness that will never allow you to reach what you seek.

For the record it's not some secret ingredient, or some mash, or some fermentation.  It's as a simple as breathing... But it's overlooked by all but the best  8)

You're simply repeating what Kai said, so I'm not really following YOUR advice, so much as his via you.

Go away, please. You aren't helping your cause.
Jesse

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
So, I've brewed a Helles. All grain 98% pilsner malt with 2% carahell, WLP833 yeast. Currently at 1.014, needs to get to 1.010 - 1.011.
 So, with all that being said. What would anyone recommend I do? .
Thank you in advance!

Throw in some Wyeast 1764 and fake it :), but don't tell anyone on that exclusive forum as it might upset their apple cart.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women