Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kölsch spam train  (Read 4460 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Kölsch spam train
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:40:48 am »
1. No wheat in mine.  Just Best Pils and a small amount of Vienna.  Don't have exact percentages.
2. Out of those, I would probably go with the premium
3. 2565 is my preference
4. Mash should be fine.
5. I'm a big fan of only FWH in a Kolsch.  I only do FWH and usually use Spalt.
6. I have my temp control set to 58F for my Kolsch.  I don't do anything fancy as far as temp steps or diacetyl rest.  Just keep it steady.
7. I force carb, so my method is hybridized version of that.  Fermentation is usually done in 5 or so days, but I don't transfer it to keg until 14ish days and then I let it 'lager' for 3 weeks with a set it and forget it carbonation method.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 03:04:14 pm »
Pulled my first kolsch off primary(WY2565 @60f 5days/67f 11 days) and into keg after 16 days.  plan on lagering for 1-2 months.  This was also my first time using lactic acid(calc. from BnWater, (PH 5.2-5.3)).  General question, I tasted my hydro sample(1.005) and its a little sour, so most of you with experience on kolschs do you find yours start out slightly sour? and does this drop off after lagering?

I can post more info if needed...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 03:52:04 pm »
Pulled my first kolsch off primary(WY2565 @60f 5days/67f 11 days) and into keg after 16 days.  plan on lagering for 1-2 months.  This was also my first time using lactic acid(calc. from BnWater, (PH 5.2-5.3)).  General question, I tasted my hydro sample(1.005) and its a little sour, so most of you with experience on kolschs do you find yours start out slightly sour? and does this drop off after lagering?

Assuming your pH was fairly accurate ( ie., you didn't use too much lactic acid), it's likely from the fact that 2565 stays in suspension for awhile. Yeasty beer often has a tart, sometimes bitter character. You should see it fade as the beer gets clear. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 04:00:52 pm »
Current plan:

Weyermann extra pale premium pilsner
Maybe some wheat, maybe some vienna, haven’t decided yet

Step mash. Why? Because I can.
Mash in @47C
Heat at a rate of one degree Celsius per minute to 62C
30m rest @62C
15m rest @71C
Mash out @78C

Sparge with water @78C

Boil 90m

20 IBU Perle FWH
Some Hersbrucker @10m

Yeast: WY2565

Ferment @15C
Diacetyl rest
Lager for 2 weeks, filter with kieselsol, carbonate to 2.3 vol
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 12:26:03 pm »

Assuming your pH was fairly accurate ( ie., you didn't use too much lactic acid), it's likely from the fact that 2565 stays in suspension for awhile. Yeasty beer often has a tart, sometimes bitter character. You should see it fade as the beer gets clear. Good luck!

That seems to match my impression better than sour.  We'll find out in a few months thx

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »

That seems to match my impression better than sour.  We'll find out in a few months thx
I often find that in lighter beers the suspended yeast imparts a more "tart" yeast bite. In the darker ones, it tastes more roasty. I've never understood if that's because some of the darker husk material is actually in suspension and settling out along with the yeast? At any rate, once the beer is nice and clear all these things fade away. If you're the impatient type, Google "Brulosophy Gelatin Effect".

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »
If you're the impatient type, Google "Brulosophy Gelatin Effect".

Definitely. I use gelatin with 2565 but it often takes a week or two after @ near freezing to drop totally clear. Worth the effort IMO.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »

I often find that in lighter beers the suspended yeast imparts a more "tart" yeast bite. In the darker ones, it tastes more roasty. I've never understood if that's because some of the darker husk material is actually in suspension and settling out along with the yeast? At any rate, once the beer is nice and clear all these things fade away. If you're the impatient type, Google "Brulosophy Gelatin Effect".

Thanks. I'm not impatient with my beer clearing...yet. But I'll def. check that out