Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Driving from Miami to Key West next week  (Read 2422 times)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Driving from Miami to Key West next week
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »
I will be in Key West for work next week, I'll be flying into Miami on Sunday morning and driving to Key West, for those who have done that drive, what's worth seeing and doing? Both brewery wise and just cool things to see. I am in no hurry on Sunday, my drive back to Miami will be faster.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Driving from Miami to Key West next week
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:46:05 pm »
Hope it's overcast cause that drive is a bear with the sun beating down on the left side of your car non stop for hours. No sights to see to add, sorry for lack of info. Did that drive once during early morning, don't want to do it again.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:32:25 am »
It's a much longer drive than you would think due to traffic. I did that once and swore never again. ;)

In Key West have a bloody mary at Tree Bar (it's under a tree, and they serve it with a pickle). Get a mojito from Mr. Mojito who you will find outside the hotels near Mallory's Square. In fact get a mojito everywhere you go.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:46:53 am »
Never been, but I've driven by the Islamorada Beer Co http://www.ibctastingroom.com/. Although I'm skeptical, because they contract brew it and its all over South Florida. Seems very brand focused rather than beer. What kind of taproom has 3 beers? And who suggests putting a lime in their wheat beer?

Non beer wise, the Keys are about fishing, diving, and boating. Not much to see on land. I did go to Florda Keys Aquarium Encounters in Marathon last time. It was kind of cool. 

A little further down the road is Bahia Honda state park. Great beaches (for the Keys) and decent snorkeling without a boat.

Good Luck

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:31:33 am »
The coolest thing to do is go to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson. It will take an entire day and there are only two real ways to get there, boat or plane. Only 50K people visit the park every year so you would be one of a few.

I'm a cat guy so the Hemingway House is a must every time I go. If you have a slight buzz on the Butterfly Conservatory (or whatever it is called) is a trip. As far as beer, there isn't much to find in terms of craft so I typically start at one end of Duval and head to the other drinking mixed drinks, frozen drinks, mojitos, or whatever is on special.

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:32:58 pm »
I haven't done the drive in a few years, but here are somethings we did that were fun--  all involved beers or bad frozen drinks.  On the drive down we stop at the Morada Bay cafe for lunch--  the food is good, view is great, tables in the sand.  In Key west there were decent beers at The Porch.  Also a few decent beers at the small bar alongside Sloppy Joes.  Keep walking down Greene street with your beers and try the hot sauces at Peppers of Key West.  We always have fun at the Hogfish Bar--  not great beer choices, but the bag of ice in the pitcher of beers is amusing.  Grab a good beer(s) before you head down to watch the sunset, the cat man and the other craziness at Mallory Square. 

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:56:46 pm »
Thank you everyone, I am taking a rod and will try for bonefish in islamorada. Probably some freediving too. I'll be in meetings all week, so no time for dry tortugas. Hopefully the Hemingway museum though

- Charles

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:39:54 am »
Thank you everyone, I am taking a rod and will try for bonefish in islamorada.

Man, I love Islamorada.  Have fun.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 10:14:25 am »
At Florida Keys Brewing Co.

- Charles

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:24:29 am »
Nice find! How were the beers? I'm driving down to Duck Key on Friday. Is it worth stopping in for a pint?  Do they do growler fills?

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:58 am »
The session IPA was good, regular IPA was not. The other beers were ok.
They do fills,

- Charles

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
Kinda look like the same beer, well, two appear the same and three appear the same. Go for the mojitos! ;)