Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy too full?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Carboy too full?
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:51 am »
I am doing a Flanders Red (brewed in January) with WY3763 (Roselare Blend) and checked on my carboy today and discovered the brew has pushed into the airlock.  I took the advice of filling the carboy to the neck to the extreme and after a few months it looks like the bugs have pushed the brew into the airlock.  Should I be concerned?

-Tony

-Tony

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Carboy too full?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:41 am »
I have had this happen with mead. No worries, just replace with a clean sanitized airlock if it seems like it is not getting more active. If its getting more active run a blow off tube into some sanitizing solution.
I assume this is secondary?
I'm not sure if the ongoing fermentation was expected by you or not. I fill carboys up to the neck for aging mead, for instance, only if I'm reasonably certain that all fermentation has stopped.
If I'm expecting more activity in secondary I leave a bit of space to avoid this and with the assurance that the ongoing activity will fill the space with co2. The purpose of filling into the neck is to make the surface area potentially exposed to oxygen tiny. If its going to be still producing co2 that's not necessary.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:46:38 am »
I have had this happen with mead. No worries, just replace with a clean sanitized airlock if it seems like it is not getting more active. If its getting more active run a blow off tube into some sanitizing solution.
I assume this is secondary?
I'm not sure if the ongoing fermentation was expected by you or not. I fill carboys up to the neck for aging mead, for instance, only if I'm reasonably certain that all fermentation has stopped.
If I'm expecting more activity in secondary I leave a bit of space to avoid this and with the assurance that the ongoing activity will fill the space with co2. The purpose of filling into the neck is to make the surface area potentially exposed to oxygen tiny. If its going to be still producing co2 that's not necessary.

Yep.  Just what Pete said. If the initial fermentation pick up (after racking) has died down, then simply replace it with another clean, sanitized airlock and you will be good to go.  It most likely will not push up into the airlock again.  Now prepare for the long aging process with that strain.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:16:51 am »
I can't tell by looking at the photo.  The bottom inlet of the fermentation lock should be above the liquid level.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:35 am »
I can't tell by looking at the photo.  The bottom inlet of the fermentation lock should be above the liquid level.
I assume that it was until fermentation caused it to rise.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:03 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  I'll clean out the airlock and replace.  This is in secondary after a month in primary.  I think whatever the brett or bacteria is doing pushed up the liquid level.  I pitched both US-05 and the Roselare together in primary.  I am planning to let this develop for a year and see how it tastes. 

-Tony
-Tony

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »
Could also be caused by expansion of the liquid due to a rise in temperature.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 07:41:01 am »
Yes, definitely could be temperature, didn't even think of that...  It was around 60 F in my closet in Jan and Feb and has warmed to 65 to 68 lately.  Thanks.
-Tony