Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Centennial fans  (Read 4922 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Centennial fans
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:58 am »
Reveal your secrets!  What/how are you doing to coax the best out of this hop?  I can't seem to eek out the glorious orange-y perfume-y magic that is in THA or Centennial IPA and I've been brewing a long time.  Are we just stuck with 2nd rate hops since the pros snatch the cream of the crop (somewhat my current theory).  If anyone here is in Centennial nirvana, help a brother out.  Call me old school, but I think a Centennial IPA walks over the current dank/tropical offerings...   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Centennial fans
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:23:42 am »
As much as I love Centennial, it seems to have been hit or miss for me the past couple of years. Depending on where I purchase the hops from seems to have an effect on the hop quality provided. I have had one batch that had very little aroma (oxidized almost?) and another batch that was quite floral.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:33:42 am »
It's hit or miss from year to year for me, too. I get the best flavor from any American-type hop with a whirlpool steep and the best aroma from dry hopping. but year to year it's a crap shoot. I have some 2015 Cent now that's just ok to me. Not especially citrusy, just ok. It's a shame because when it's good, it's a really good hop.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:48 am »
Thanks for the confirmations.  That's life I guess...  I did have some really good results in the past using homegrown Cents but I find the whole hop growing thing a PITA.  I wonder if there is some way to track down a grower/supplier that had a good crop?  I am more than willing to pay additional for it.  Also, any thoughts that Cents might be better as a whole leaf and maybe pelletizing is the culprit? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 09:13:43 am »
I say it over and over, but Hop Heaven has spectacular hops, including Centennial.  At least, the Centennial I got from them a few months ago were great.  Keep in mind, though, that Centennial is a hop that growers hate due to its variability and difficulty to grow.  When asked if there was one hop they'd like to get rid of, every grower on a panel I attended named Centennial.  But they also all said that it was so popular that would never happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:25:21 am »
I say it over and over, but Hop Heaven has spectacular hops, including Centennial.  At least, the Centennial I got from them a few months ago were great.  Keep in mind, though, that Centennial is a hop that growers hate due to its variability and difficulty to grow.  When asked if there was one hop they'd like to get rid of, every grower on a panel I attended named Centennial.  But they also all said that it was so popular that would never happen.

+1
Hop Heaven has fantastic hops. I just got an order recently and the deep dark green freshness of pellets was striking.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:26:51 am »

Well I'm sold. I want to try some of his Centennial.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:16 am »
Isn't Hop Heaven the ebay store?  No Cents!!!  :'(
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:48:33 am »
I treat Centennial like any other hop.  I have gone to only 3 additions on all my (D)IPAs.  1) FWH with a 90 minute boil.  2) Whirlpool/Steep for 15-20 minutes at flameout.  3) Keg hop.  That gives me a blend of bitterness/flavor/aroma that I really like.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 09:58:10 am »

Yep.  I can also put you in touch with him directly.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:00 am »
Hmmmm.  http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/23/whole-leaf-vs-pellet-hops-part-1-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/  I used to be a big Freshops/whole hop fan in the day.  I feel a real old school brew a comin'...

Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:59 am »
Hmmmm.  http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/23/whole-leaf-vs-pellet-hops-part-1-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/  I used to be a big Freshops/whole hop fan in the day.  I feel a real old school brew a comin'...

Me, too.  Dave at Freshops is a good friend.  But once I tried Ted's hops....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 10:06:43 am »

Yep.  I can also put you in touch with him directly.

"Oh?! So you're a friend of Denny's?" (looks to see if anyone is watching and reaches under the counter)  ;D 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 09:09:18 am »
Is Admiral Hops a possible switch for the citrusy (some say orange, but I have had different results) flavor for beer?  Maybe back up whirlpool, dry hop with Centennial but FB the Admiral?  Idk just thinking out of the box here.

*Or Amarillo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:22:38 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
Is Admiral Hops a possible switch for the citrusy (some say orange, but I have had different results) flavor for beer?  Maybe back up whirlpool, dry hop with Centennial but FB the Admiral?  Idk just thinking out of the box here.

*Or Amarillo

Never used Admiral, but Amarillo won't give you the same floral notes that Centennial will.  Amarillo is much more orangey/citrusy.  They're both favorites of mine but for different reasons.