Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Residual Alkalinity  (Read 1321 times)

Offline SeniorChief

• 1st Kit
Residual Alkalinity
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:28:52 pm »

I am brewing a Passion Fruit Wheat Ale tomorrow and want to improve it by adjusting the water profile. In following the Book "Water, a Comprehensive guide for Brewers" table 19 it says that the RA should be -60-0 and no matter what I adjust, my RA (using the EZ water Calc) is -221. If I get the RA within an acceptable range then the other ratio's are out of balance. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my RA within an acceptable range and not throw off the others? I am using 3 oz of Acidic malt to get the PH to 5.56 but this raises the RA. I take it out and the RA is close but the PH is too hi. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them. I am using Primo Water from Wal-Mart. My tap water isn't the best for brewing.

Starting Water (ppm):   
Ca:   6   
Mg:   1   
Na:   2   
Cl:   10   
SO4:   3   
CaCO3:   5   

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal):   4.5   /   4.1
RO or distilled %:   0%   /   0%

Total Grain (lb):   10.0   

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:   
CaSO4:   1   /   0.911111111
CaCl2:   5   /   4.555555556
MgSO4:   5   /   4.555555556
NaHCO3:   0   /   0
CaCO3:   0   /   0
Lactic Acid (ml):   0   
Sauermalz (oz):   3   

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):   
Ca:   99   /   99
Mg:   28   /   28
Na:   2   /   2
Cl:   152   /   152
SO4:   150   /   150
Cl to SO4 Ratio:   1.01   /   1.01

Alkalinity (CaCO3):   -134   
RA:   -221   
Estimated pH:   5.56   
(room temp)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Residual Alkalinity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:12:10 pm »
Honestly the best thing you can do is download Bru'n Water: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge

That is a short answer that seems to not directly answer your question, but it really does.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
Honestly the best thing you can do is download Bru'n Water: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge

That is a short answer that seems to not directly answer your question, but it really does.

This^^^^

The free version will do you just right.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:46:27 pm »
Yeah if you're getting an estimated 5.56 mash pH from a wheat malt recipe with only 3oz of acid malt something is screwy. Maybe you have super alkaline water (in which case you may need to dilute or replace with RO). It's also very easy to put in the wrong malts or otherwise fag finger something in the calculator.

As a base rule if your base malts are mashed with distilled water you'll probably need to add a few mL of acid. If you add more dark grains you may not need any acid.

For a light ale like a wheat, if assume you'd need a few mL of lactic acid or a few percent (i.e. 1 - 5%) of acid malt to balance the alkalinity of most waters. 3oz seems like not enough to me. And if adding acid malt is raising your pH then something is wrong (direct add additions or acid malt additions should lower pH).