Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Centennial fans  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Centennial fans
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:03 am »
I brewed a pale ale with admiral and goldings for bittering, flavor, and aroma additions. I got a fruity effect (not citrus) from the admiral that I wasn't really thrilled with, although it has faded a bit.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:58 pm »
Is Admiral Hops a possible switch for the citrusy (some say orange, but I have had different results) flavor for beer?  Maybe back up whirlpool, dry hop with Centennial but FB the Admiral?  Idk just thinking out of the box here.

*Or Amarillo
If you want something like THA use centennial, and the Bell's yeast. Under pitch and ferment hotter than you usually would.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »
It's hit or miss from year to year for me, too. I get the best flavor from any American-type hop with a whirlpool steep and the best aroma from dry hopping. but year to year it's a crap shoot. I have some 2015 Cent now that's just ok to me. Not especially citrusy, just ok. It's a shame because when it's good, it's a really good hop.
Is the 2015 Centennial your not so thrilled with from Yakima Valley Hops? I just bought some from there. Only 2 oz pack though. So no biggie.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »
Is the 2015 Centennial your not so thrilled with from Yakima Valley Hops? I just bought some from there. Only 2 oz pack though. So no biggie.

I have some 2015 from them and Farmhouse that's pretty decent, just not great to me. Centennial varies a lot year to year, field to field even IMO.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 08:13:56 am »
In the spirit of this thread, I picked up a fresh growler of Founder's Centennial IPA and was not overly impressed.  It still wipes the floor over homebrewed examples I've had, but it was was not "I can smell it across the table and we're in a barbecue joint" as my wife once put it.  ;D  Now that I think about it, It's been a few years ago since I had some stellar cent examples. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:04:06 am by zwiller »
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 11:21:51 am »
I have some 2015 from them and Farmhouse that's pretty decent, just not great to me. Centennial varies a lot year to year, field to field even IMO.
I find the same can be said about Apollo and Meridian, which is unfortunate considering how much I like them when they are in prime condition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 11:28:45 am »
I find the same can be said about Apollo and Meridian, which is unfortunate considering how much I like them when they are in prime condition.

I had pretty bad luck with 2014 Cascade, too. I bought it from 3 different vendors last year and it was all subpar. Not even as good as the Centennial I have now. Luckily the 2015 Cascade I have is very good.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »
My 2015 Cascade is nice too!  Really happy I used them with the Cents on last batch.  BTW if you dig deep (as I do) Founder's uses cascade in their Centennial IPA...
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »
My 2015 Cascade is nice too!  Really happy I used them with the Cents on last batch.  BTW if you dig deep (as I do) Founder's uses cascade in their Centennial IPA...

Yep, totally complimentary hops. I try out tons of new hop varieties, but those two are still excellent. Great for blending with newer hops as well.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:22 pm »
Centennial, similar to Cascade, is an awesome hop to grow and harvest at home.  I concur with the others who have not be wowed with the available commercial harvest.

While I don't grow Centennials, I got some grown from another homebrewer a couple of years ago.  They were awesome.  I do grow Cascades, and yesterday I brewed an APA with them.  The smell was terrific.  One theory I have is, when I opened my vacuum-sealed bag of them, there was a thick coating of lupulin gland dust inside the bag that I never see with a pound of commercial hops.  Maybe Cascade and Centennial loses a lot of their flavor when harvested and packaged through the loss of the sticky yellow stuff?  I don'y know, just a thought.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 03:43:40 pm »
one of my fave combos- centennial, cascade, citra
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 03:45:21 pm »

Interesting about Apollo. I've only bought it once and sold most of it after using it once. It tasted very "green" to me. I don't even know if that makes sense but is best how I can describe it. Like a big bucket of chlorophyll lol.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
Interesting about Apollo. I've only bought it once and sold most of it after using it once. It tasted very "green" to me. I don't even know if that makes sense but is best how I can describe it. Like a big bucket of chlorophyll lol.

The times I used it (only twice) I got lots of onion/garlic which I know can be harvest related. I remember Eric saying he liked it - tangerine and resinous character for him.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 05:55:35 pm »

The times I used it (only twice) I got lots of onion/garlic which I know can be harvest related. I remember Eric saying he liked it - tangerine and resinous character for him.

I think I actually bittered my BW that you'll be getting with it. I have to go back and check the notes. It was brewed over a year ago... Sooooo maybe I used it twice lol
Frank

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:21 am »
In the spirit of this thread, I picked up a fresh growler of Founder's Centennial IPA and was not overly impressed.  It still wipes the floor over homebrewed examples I've had, but it was was not "I can smell it across the table and we're in a barbecue joint" as my wife once put it.  ;D  Now that I think about it, It's been a few years ago since I had some stellar cent examples.

This could explain my last experience with Two Hearted being underwhelming as well.

I just planted some at home, so I'm hoping I can extract the best.