Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Saison  (Read 4318 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Saison
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:59:05 pm »
Wow those are some distinctive hops.  Really lemony.  Very much like lemon zest or lemon grass.  In aroma and flavor.  Refreshing and not over the top.

The Saison itself is also delightful.  Crisp bitterness mixes well with that lemony character.  Bone dry yet a silky mouthfeel.  Kind of creamy like there are some oats in there?  At the same time it is a fairly light medium body.  A lemony gold color with just a slight haze.  Fluffy cloud like head and nice sticky lacing.  Nice crisp carbonation but not too gassy.  Loads of tiny bubbles.  Very refreshing summer beer.  A bit pricey but certainly worth a try or two...

Sounds like these hops are hard to come by?  They really go well in a Saison imho.
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Saison
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:09:07 pm »
I almost bought this very beer today. Should have sprung for it. There's always tomorrow... Thanks for the review! :D

And I've heard some good things about Sorachi Ace.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:11:11 pm »
Yeah, one of my Saison recipes uses Sorachi Ace hops. Bummer that this little secret got out!  :'( ;)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
would love to track this one down - not sure I could find it on the W. Coast.

I've seen rants on this hop on other boards, but I had an all-Sorachi cask pale ale at a local brewery and really enjoyed it.  I'd use 'em in second. 

Seems like they could play very well in any number of Weizen beers too

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:07 pm »
FTR Amarillo works awesome in Saisons as well. But for heaven's sake don't tell anyone!  ;)

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »
IMHO Brooklyn nailed this one.  Great use of the lemony grassy hops with the yeast esters and phenols....nice and dry too.

FTR Amarillo works awesome in Saisons as well. But for heaven's sake don't tell anyone!  ;)

I think Drew let the cat out of the bag when he put the Springtime in Amarillo recipe in the '08 Saison article ;)
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:11:16 pm »
I'm getting a distinct and looong lasting citrus note. I'm thinking... blood-orange?.

Oh, BTW I sprung for one. Only $12.49. :-\ Light pale gold thin body slightly hazy and boldly effervescent. The mouthfeel is a little soapy to me so maybe silky is more appropriate.

Dry as a bone, acidic but not astringent.

This reminds me of #7 with the aggressive citrus hop-burst. A Saison for Americans...

In the next few minutes I'm going to pair the next glass with some fresh fatty Atlantic Salmon broiled or steamed. I can't wait. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »
Haven't had it yet.  But...by the descriptions.. it sounds wonderful. 
Lemon flavor and aroma from the Sorachi Ace hops married with the complex and peppery phenols of the saison yeast. 

Lemon pepper goes well with just about everything.  So should this beer.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:45:54 pm »
Just picked up a bottle of this for the first time.  I didn't drink it yet but will respond with my tasting notes as soon as I get a chance to drink it.  Lemony is the word I'm hearing.  For $14.99 I hope it's worth it.  :D

Being a poker player...I love the label.
Ron Price

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »
Had this a month or two ago.  I really enjoyed it.  I didn't identify it as lemony but had definite citrus flavors along with the dry spicy character,,,you know...saison like.  I'm gonna have to try this again when I can afford it   :-\ ...or I could just wait for the saison fermenting in my basement to be ready.

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:32 pm »
Isn't it pathetic that I live in Brooklyn and can't get my hands on this beer? I gotta go looking for it now... this was the last straw!
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA