Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager!  (Read 14474 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: First lager!
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 05:47:42 pm »
Plus I stopped fining my IPA and apa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, IPA for sure. Think I'll cut APA back to 1/2 tsp if any at all.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:34 pm »
Did you guys ever get around to doing a real experiment on gelatin fining? I've just started using it on some, beers, I'd love to hear more details.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
First lager!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »
Did you guys ever get around to doing a real experiment on gelatin fining? I've just started using it on some, beers, I'd love to hear more details.
You saw the Brulosophy about it right? Marshall seems to have adopted it now.

I haven't done my own side by side, but in comparing to my previous batches I'd say basically I can achieve the same clarity and conditioning in a few days versus a few weeks with cold alone.

Beyond that, the improvements you see in some styles that happen over time (i.e. Bock tasting better at 6 months versus 1 month) are still there, but way more subtle in my judgement.

As a quick way to clarify and speed up conditioning I'm a believer. But I would not describe it as a complete replacement for conditioning for me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:53 pm »

I haven't. I just know it works if used properly. Get the beer really cold first (32ish), then add gelatin mixture per Bertus method, wait 2 days, pump out the sediment, then go. This method really works:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:53 pm »
I know it works, I was more referencing Ken's foam creating/retention thoughts from a while back.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 08:15:17 pm »
I know it works, I was more referencing Ken's foam creating/retention thoughts from a while back.
Yeah I'm less is more on this
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:02 pm »
Yeah I'm less is more on this

Sorry, missed the point. Looking to use as little as necessary.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. So is the experiment you're looking for related to quantity of gelatin used and potential impacts on clarity as well as head formation/retention?

Sorry if I'm being daft, just want to make sure I'm grokking all of this.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:05 am »
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. So is the experiment you're looking for related to quantity of gelatin used and potential impacts on clarity as well as head formation/retention?

Bingo. If others are finding a sweet spot amount for gelatin I'm of course very interested. First (and so far only) time I've used it I used a teaspoon for 5 gallons.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 11:20:33 am »

Bingo. If others are finding a sweet spot amount for gelatin I'm of course very interested. First (and so far only) time I've used it I used a teaspoon for 5 gallons.
As I understand it, gelatin fining is more about getting rid of chill haze than clearing yeast.  So, you need to get the beer down to below 40F for the chill haze proteins to come out of solution and let the gelatin grab on.

I've been using 1/2 tsp. in 5.5 gallons in lagers, pils and an English bitters and been getting brilliant clarity and good head and lacing.  I chill the beer to 30-35F for 2-6 days, fine and wait a day or two before packaging, as others have suggested.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:28:47 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

As I understand it, gelatin fining is more about getting rid of chill haze than clearing yeast.  So, you need to get the beer down to below 40F for the chill haze proteins to come out of solution and let the gelatin grab on.

I've been using 1/2 tsp. in 5.5 gallons in lagers, pils and an English bitters and been getting brilliant clarity and good head and lacing.  I chill the beer to 30-35F for 2-6 days, fine and wait a day or two before packaging, as others have suggested.
Gelatin mixed with water creates a positively charged solution, which binds with negatively charged yeast and proteins. I haven't seen any data to suggest that it is more effective at one than the other. Have you?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 05:29:40 pm »
Gelatin mixed with water creates a positively charged solution, which binds with negatively charged yeast and proteins. I haven't seen any data to suggest that it is more effective at one than the other. Have you?

It works pretty well for yeast and proteins IME. From the accounts I've read lately it works well @ 1/2 tsp/5 gallons so I'm gonna cut back from 1 tsp.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 05:36:11 pm »
It works pretty well for yeast and proteins IME. From the accounts I've read lately it works well @ 1/2 tsp/5 gallons so I'm gonna cut back from 1 tsp.
I started out at 1/2 tsp in 5G per the Brulosohpy XBMT. In that article, Marshall cites his friend Brad as the source for the 1/2 tsp. For 5G. I haven't experimented with using more or less, but 1/2 tsp. seems to work fine for me and have really sped up my lagers (since lager yeast sometimes doesn't seem to want to clear even at 32F).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 01:00:46 pm »
I've found 1/2 tsp works ok in the fermenter. I've yet to try it in the keg.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:09 pm »

I can't relocate the source for the chill haze vs. yeast clearing thing.  But gelatin does clear chill haze proteins (beer below 40F) and while it probably clears much yeast it does not clear all yeast.  If it did, bottle carbonation with priming sugar would not work.

Edit:  Then again, maybe gelatin doesn't clear all the chill haze proteins.  Just enough that the beer appears to be really clear.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:35:38 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.