Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Head Retention Issues...  (Read 2096 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Head Retention Issues...
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:50:34 pm »
I had head retention issues with many beers long ago and found out a few things, one being washing your glasses with dish soap. Since then I did a salt scrub on all of my glasses and have even using Star San to clean them.

For the most part everything has worked out fairly well. That is until we talk about my jalapeño ales. The head dissipates quickly. I was asked about cleaning, which I thought was stellar considering I've yet to have a bar hand tell me what they are using.

But today we went to a food truck park and Red Solo cupped it and I saw I kept a minimal amount of retention.

So how do you reset your glasses? I thought  and with the time passed....

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Head Retention Issues...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:09 am »
I had head retention issues with many beers long ago and found out a few things, one being washing your glasses with dish soap. Since then I did a salt scrub on all of my glasses and have even using Star San to clean them.

For the most part everything has worked out fairly well. That is until we talk about my jalapeño ales. The head dissipates quickly. I was asked about cleaning, which I thought was stellar considering I've yet to have a bar hand tell me what they are using.

But today we went to a food truck park and Red Solo cupped it and I saw I kept a minimal amount of retention.

First off, chile beers sometimes have foam issues, as the chiles contain natural oils that can be detrimental for foam. Be sure to rinse your glasses very thoroughly with lots of hot water after washing (assuming you don't already). And not fermenting excessively warm is a help to foam - I ferment most ales between 62-64F.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:15:15 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:02 am »

First off, chile beers sometimes have foam issues, as the chiles contain natural oils that can be detrimental for foam. Be sure to rinse your glasses very thoroughly with lots of hot water after washing (assuming you don't already). And not fermenting excessively warm is a help to foam - I ferment most ales between 62-64F.
Did I imagine it or did Drew talk about techniques for minimizing oil issues in chile beers in a recent Experimental Brewing (maybe the Q&A episode)? Sorry I can't be more specific -- I listen to so many beer podcasts on my drives they start to run together....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:51:45 pm »

Did I imagine it or did Drew talk about techniques for minimizing oil issues in chile beers in a recent Experimental Brewing (maybe the Q&A episode)? Sorry I can't be more specific -- I listen to so many beer podcasts on my drives they start to run together....

I think he did, but I don't recall what he said.  What, you mean I'm supposed to listen to him?  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 01:05:00 pm »
I think he was talking about flavor and no heat.

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
I also have a head retention issue but due to advice from this board I am pretty certain it was due to ferm temp getting too high (I brewed an APA) and it caused some slight fruit esters. Somebody told me that it would likely result in head retention issues and they were right. Thankfully, the brew itself tastes pretty good. Not great, but definitely better than just drinkable. I am enjoying it.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:07:42 am »
I think he was talking about flavor and no heat.
Yeah, that sounds right. Well at least it was the right show