Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Juicy" IPA  (Read 17949 times)

narvin

Re: "Juicy" IPA
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 07:28:57 am »
So, what's the idea with the sodium?  I'm not against it, just wondering since the only time I've intentionally bumped up the sodium level was for dark stouts.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 08:16:56 am »
So, what's the idea with the sodium?  I'm not against it, just wondering since the only time I've intentionally bumped up the sodium level was for dark stouts.
My thought was to use just enough to boost the malt character. I usually target about 40ppm in my malty lagers and I do feel that it helps with the malt character a bit. That would also let me boost my chloride while keeping Calcium on the lower side. I figure you don't want to give any extra encouragement for flocculation in this style.

I did notice a just barely-threshold salty character to the Trillium IPA's that I wasn't a fan of. I'm not sure if it is from sodium, chloride or some combination of the two. Regardless, I'm scrapping my original plan with the water treatment and going 150ppm SO4, 80ppm Cl and no additional sodium, which is what I've settled on as my preferred treatment for my hoppier ales. I find that it is just enough sulfate to give a bit of dryness without much of a "minerally" character.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 08:18:10 am »
Doh! I can't think of locals to send you in the swap that you can't get yourself and I was thinking I would get you some trillium at Yankee Spirits.
Insert "crying laughter" emoji here. You anywhere near Tree House?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:24 am »
I'm about ready to call BS on the whole "the beer is cloudy becasue it's so hoppy" thing.  I have had PNW IPAs that had every bit as much hop aroma and flavor and were crystal clear.

Ppl often make these blanket statements but rarely offer up a beer to try that compares. 

Cheers to the other brewer mentioning Heretic as one he prefers.  I disagree with his assessment (particularly on aroma), but at least he mentioned a beer.  I would agree that these hazy IPAs are slightly thin and the IBUs are much closer to APAs than IPAs, but the aroma on the Trillium and Tree House beers are out of this world.  To me and my palate, the combo of over-the-top hop aroma with thinner body and lower IBUs, makes the beers overly crushable.  I have to mentally stop myself from gulping the beer.  Similar to pounding a Gatorade after a game of basketball. 

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:50 am »
I'm about ready to call BS on the whole "the beer is cloudy becasue it's so hoppy" thing.  I have had PNW IPAs that had every bit as much hop aroma and flavor and were crystal clear.

Ppl often make these blanket statements but rarely offer up a beer to try that compares. 

Cheers to the other brewer mentioning Heretic as one he prefers.  I disagree with his assessment (particularly on aroma), but at least he mentioned a beer.  I would agree that these hazy IPAs are slightly thin and the IBUs are much closer to APAs than IPAs, but the aroma on the Trillium and Tree House beers are out of this world.  To me and my palate, the combo of over-the-top hop aroma with thinner body and lower IBUs, makes the beers overly crushable.  I have to mentally stop myself from gulping the beer.  Similar to pounding a Gatorade after a game of basketball.

I hate to say it - offer up a beer rather than your blanket statement...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:58 am »
Haha!  I mentioned breweries so I thought it was implied. Julius, Sap, Haze, Alter Ego, Lights Off, DDH Congress St, DDH Fort Point, Artaic, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:09:22 am »
Doh! I can't think of locals to send you in the swap that you can't get yourself and I was thinking I would get you some trillium at Yankee Spirits.
Insert "crying laughter" emoji here. You anywhere near Tree House?
I hope to get to Treehouse but its unlikely before the swap. I actually hear someone I went to school with is involved. They are building a bigger brewery in Charlton which is a direction I get to a little more than Monson. I will probably go to the Brimfield antique show next month which is the next town over.
Did you go to the original Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:08 am »

Hey Denny!

I will be asking for your help to get rid of the haze on my most recent brew (bottling tomorrow).

I don't know much but it seems like the haze is because of all the flaked oats being used (20% in my batch).

How would you recommend clearing up this style of beer?

Start by cold crashing.  If that doesn't work, try gelatin.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:06 am »

Thought I had...maybe that was another discussion.  I'd say Sticky Hands from Block 15 in Corvallis or the AIPA/DIPA (whose names I can't recall) from Bale Breaker.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:30 am »
Haha!  I mentioned breweries so I thought it was implied. Julius, Sap, Haze, Alter Ego, Lights Off, DDH Congress St, DDH Fort Point, Artaic, etc.

I have had Sap, Haze, Alter ego and a couple others from Treehouse, as well as an IPA from Building 8.  I have about 5 more NE IPAs to go through before I post my thoughts on the website.

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:22 am »
To me and my palate, the combo of over-the-top hop aroma with thinner body and lower IBUs, makes the beers overly crushable.

So, how do you crush a beer?  I've crushed the can before but it's extremely hard to compress liquid.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:22 am »
To me and my palate, the combo of over-the-top hop aroma with thinner body and lower IBUs, makes the beers overly crushable.

So, how do you crush a beer?  I've crushed the can before but it's extremely hard to compress liquid.

I never use crushable in describing a beer...huge pet peeve for me
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:34 am »
Loved TKitH as a kid!  Certainly not a pet peeve of mine!!  Maybe gulpable works better for you?  Or we can go Belgian and use 'digestibility'? 

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 10:04:11 am »
extremely impossible to crush liquid... oh I get it a chem joke! haha
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

RPIScotty

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:34 am »
Loved TKitH as a kid!  Certainly not a pet peeve of mine!!  Maybe gulpable works better for you?  Or we can go Belgian and use 'digestibility'? 

Digestibility is an infinitely more useful term than Crushable.