Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Juicy" IPA  (Read 18060 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: "Juicy" IPA
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:59 am »
or English "Quaffable"
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

narvin

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:32 am »
Or Bud Light's "Drinkability"  ::)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:30 pm »
Funny that this showed up on the AHA page today.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/beer-haze-cloudy-homebrew

I suspect collusion. :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 12:30:02 pm »
It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 12:35:07 pm »
Loved TKitH as a kid!  Certainly not a pet peeve of mine!!  Maybe gulpable works better for you?  Or we can go Belgian and use 'digestibility'? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digestibility is an infinitely more useful term than Crushable.

Good thing I didn't stop after "crushable" and actually described what I meant.  Otherwise, no one would ever understand!! 

Cheers!

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 12:44:28 pm »
I'm about ready to call BS on the whole "the beer is cloudy becasue it's so hoppy" thing.  I have had PNW IPAs that had every bit as much hop aroma and flavor and were crystal clear.

Ppl often make these blanket statements but rarely offer up a beer to try that compares. 

Thought I had...maybe that was another discussion.  I'd say Sticky Hands from Block 15 in Corvallis or the AIPA/DIPA (whose names I can't recall) from Bale Breaker.

Thanks Denny for a couple specific beers.  I haven't had any of those so something to look for.  Living in NC, I feel like getting (even super fresh) IPAs shipped from the West Coast, I'm not seeing their true character.  I wonder if you're experiencing something similar have East Coast beers shipped across country.  I know you'll be on the East Coast in June.  Maybe someone will arrange to bring you some freshies to try.

One example I can think of is Tropicalia from Creature Comforts in Athens.  It's a clear beer with a huge hop nose on it... but I still don't think it's to the level of those hazy NE IPAs.  Maybe it's perception (we taste/smell with our eyes first, right), but that's been my take on it for the past year+.

Cheers!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:38 pm »
I wonder if you're experiencing something similar have East Coast beers shipped across country.  I know you'll be on the East Coast in June.  Maybe someone will arrange to bring you some freshies to try.

I don't think the freshness is the issue.  His point is more that the haze isn't from the hops and you don't need haze for it to taste and smell hoppy.

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 01:22:07 pm »
Right. I understand his point, but all the examples we've discussed are 3,000 miles away from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »
I wonder if you're experiencing something similar have East Coast beers shipped across country.  I know you'll be on the East Coast in June.  Maybe someone will arrange to bring you some freshies to try.

I don't think the freshness is the issue.  His point is more that the haze isn't from the hops and you don't need haze for it to taste and smell hoppy.

99% right on, Toby!  But I don't know what the haze is from in these beers.  Could be one or more of a number of things.  But the flavor is definitely there, and I don't feel it's ;lacking or that the beers are not fresh.  It's more like I feel the haze is muting the flavors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 01:43:50 pm »
I think a lot of times it's yeast.  I know that Heady Topper is "supposed" to be consumed incredibly fresh, and from the can (constantly stirring up the yeast), and I suspect that's because the yeast has taken a lot of hop flavor with it when it falls out.  IPAs don't age well in general, but this one seems to go downhill particularly fast.

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 01:55:01 pm »
Heady drops clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amgfgU5-lhs

I did a personal test with a can some years ago and let one sit in the fridge for 6-mo.  It was indeed clear and still better than 90% of the IPAs out.

RPIScotty

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 02:00:09 pm »
Heady drops clear

I did a personal test with a can some years ago and let one sit in the fridge for 6-mo.  It was indeed clear and still better than 90% of the IPAs out.

That's not saying much. 90% of the IPAs out are horrible.

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 02:31:55 pm »
Heady drops clear

Now that is something I can agree with!  Haha!

RPIScotty

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 02:50:49 pm »
Heady drops clear

Now that is something I can agree with!  Haha!

I'm personally not a huge PA/IPA fan but do have some favorites:

Uinta Hop Nosh, Southern Tier IPA and XIPA, Corne Du Diable, Ithaca Flower Power, SN Pale Ale, etc.

Those are the ones I drink regularly. I typically don't seek them out but drink a good one when it's recommended.

narvin

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 02:53:18 pm »
Heady drops clear

Yeah, that supports my theory that it's yeast.  I still think it loses a lot of flavor after a few months though.