Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Stand vs. Boil Addition | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 3944 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hop Stand vs. Boil Addition | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »
As far as time, you get everything cleaned up and put away, and the fermenters and yeast ready before you chill. So it adds a little but not a lot of time.

+1.  I get everything possible cleaned and put up during the stand, so the time loss isn't big for me either.

By the time I get to the stand, all I have left to clean up is the kettle....which you obviously can't do until after!
I also need to flush out the pump and hoses,, but that adds <5 minutes. That includes hooking up tap water, flush with the pump running, tear down. Doing that anyway.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 05:44:47 am »
I am always looking to take time out of my brewday but the results I get with hop stands in IPA's are so obvious and dramatic that I find it worthwhile. I usually just move onto a non brewing task that I can do while periodically stirring.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:02 am »
Honestly I don't see much difference for a 20 min stand. But a 30 min + there is a major difference. Personally I like a 45 min for a good balance of ibus and hop oils. This is all at boiling temperatures fading till the end of the stand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk