Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Shoes?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
Brew Shoes?
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:59:39 pm »
After dropping a 6.5 gallon glass carboy on my feet 6 months ago, I have been on the search for the perfect brewing shoes. So far, the closest I've come is the Rogue "BrewShoes" and some of the Lacrosse boots -

Any thoughts on the perfect brew shoes?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Brew Shoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:14:16 pm »
Non-slip.

I like sandals but then again I don't use carboys...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:14 pm »
I live near the beach (FL), but I won't brew with sandals on.  I burned my toes once wearing regular running shoes and socks. I splashed some hot water (180F) by accident out of the brew kettle during transfer and I've never taken my shoes off faster.

I like the idea of any closed toe shoe/boot.  I'd rather have my feet sweaty than burned.  Been there, done that. 

Your experience may vary.  Mr Murphy always seems to brew with me.  And my insurance isn't necessarily as good as yours!

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:41:32 pm »
I live near the beach (FL), but I won't brew with sandals on.  I burned my toes once wearing regular running shoes and socks. I splashed some hot water (180F) by accident out of the brew kettle during transfer and I've never taken my shoes off faster.

I like the idea of any closed toe shoe/boot.  I'd rather have my feet sweaty than burned.  Been there, done that.  

Your experience may vary.  Mr Murphy always seems to brew with me.  And my insurance isn't necessarily as good as yours!

I heard that.  I've been there done that.  I like the idea of water proof rain boots, the kind used on boats are pretty comfortable and stylish if they are not the high tops, the ones that are half the length used by commercial brewers. Something along these lines... http://www.zappos.com/tretorn-strala-sommar-brown
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:47:12 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »
I wear my Vibram 5 fingers. Not a lot of protection against carboy drops though. My suggestion: don't drop a carboy on your foot.  :D

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:20 pm »
I wear my Vibram 5 fingers. Not a lot of protection against carboy drops though. My suggestion: don't drop a carboy on your foot.  :D

Yeah but when someone is drinking and brewing anything can happen.  Well maybe just in my case. ;)
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:33 pm »
I'd wear one of those Walmart work boots with steel toes!
I don't use glass carboys (out of fear).
It has been suggested to use those plastic milk crates or carboy haulers to transfer carboys to reduce one's risk of injury.  I'd still tape the heck out of the carboy with the reinforced tape just for safety reasons if I did own a glass carboy.  JMO.  I've seen glass cuts before--it's amazing how quick and deep they can cut.

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

Yeah but when someone is drinking and brewing anything can happen.  Well maybe just in my case. ;)
Don't drink and brew...problem solved  ;D
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 04:22:40 pm »
BLACK REDWINGS.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »

LOL!  ha ha!
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »

Impossible! 
Heresy, I say! 
One must "prime the pump!"

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »
It has been suggested to use those plastic milk crates or carboy haulers to transfer carboys to reduce one's risk of injury.  

+1 on the Carboy Haulers, great invention
Joe

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »
It has been suggested to use those plastic milk crates or carboy haulers to transfer carboys to reduce one's risk of injury.

+1 (but I use the milk crate w/rope through the sides for handles.)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »

+1 (but I use the milk crate w/rope through the sides for handles.)

+1 to both. Also +1 to glass cuts being dangerous. And carrying carboys is only part of the risk. I accidentally slipped and fell into one once getting a nice, deep gash in my leg. No emergency room visit, but close. I then realized how dangerous it was having carboys near "pedestrian zones", especially with kids around and have since remedied that dangerous situation.

Also +1 to whoever mentioned the Vibrams Five Fingers. great brew shoe.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 08:01:05 pm »

Also +1 to whoever mentioned the Vibrams Five Fingers. great brew shoe.
[/quote]

I use the Vibrams for gym use and for the treadmill, so I guess if I risk wearing them around lifting weights then I could use them for brewing. +1