Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Define Pub  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Define Pub
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »
Is it just me, or should a "Pub" have food? If you don't have food you're a bar. I'll give you ale house or tavern, but Pubs should have food.

I'm on the road for work and entered Pub into Google Maps. Found a place about 5 minutes down the road.  No food. Settled on some killer tacos a few doors down, but I wanted a burger and beers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:20:08 pm by Stevie »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Define Pub
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:17:32 pm »
Agreed.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:21:33 pm »
Well, there's no food here...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:25 pm »
Well, there's no food here...
Good point. No beer either

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:18 am »
In Ireland many of the pubs did not have food. Since they probably came closer to coining the phrase I am going to vote no, a pub does not need to serve food. Now OTOH they should let you know if they do or do not serve food and if they have a sign which says they do, they should be serving. We found many there only serve food on weekends or during the high tourist seasons. My only gripe about Ireland was at times finding food was somewhat difficult outside of a major city.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:06 am »
Most often I see "Pub & Grill" or something like that. Sucks they didn't have food as you'd expect most places to have these days. I guess Pub just makes me think of place to drink, like tavern or something like that. Killer tacos sounds ominous but better!
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:01 am »
When I talk to folks that have or are planning to open some form of brewery and we come to business models considered, they tend to break down more or less like this; Tasting room (beer production, small room, maybe snacks or food trucks), Pub (beer production & SIMPLE food service), Restaurant (beer production with full service restaurant). To me Pub implies that there is something more than a bowl of peanuts or pretzels yet I don't expect a full menu and exceptional service. My $.02
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:29:05 am »
In Ireland many of the pubs did not have food. Since they probably came closer to coining the phrase I am going to vote no, a pub does not need to serve food. Now OTOH they should let you know if they do or do not serve food and if they have a sign which says they do, they should be serving. We found many there only serve food on weekends or during the high tourist seasons. My only gripe about Ireland was at times finding food was somewhat difficult outside of a major city.
When I was in the Uk, all pubs had food. Maybe not late at night after they became "clubs" so they could serve after 11.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:44 am »
To me Pub implies that there is something more than a bowl of peanuts or pretzels yet I don't expect a full menu and exceptional service. My $.02

That's the same way I see it.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:43:56 am »
I agree a pub should have food.

Public houses in the day had food, drink, lodging, stables...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 09:52:38 am »
I agree a pub should have food.

Public houses in the day had food, drink, lodging, stables...
I had to tie my horse up to a parking meter.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:48 am »
As an American and defining "Pub"... this means the establishment is beer oriented; will often have a UK theme or influence and serves pub food.

A Tavern serves liquor and most likely will have a full menu.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 11:11:55 am »
For me, a pub is a location where I want to go hang out for an extended time with friends.  Ideally, it should be local and neighborhood oriented, but my favorite is not strictly local to me.  Primary beverage should be beer, but cider and whisk(e)y are also cool.  There should be a simple food menu (as in relatively few items compared to a restaurant).

There used to be a great Irish Pub called O'Flaherty's in the French Quarter in New Orleans, but it's been closed for years.  Pretty stereotypical example with beer, darts, and billiards with a lot of dark wood and leather couches.

My favorite Pub currently is the Avenue Pub in New Orleans.  It's always on my list of first recommendations for beer tourists.  Great beer selection along with whisk(e)y and a knowledgeable staff.  Food is a contrast of simple and high-end (burgers and dump truck fries are the standard items, but done with a local farm-to-table ethic).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 11:41:26 am »
A pub has darts.  Real darts.  Not the plastic crap that you find in bars.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 11:42:28 am »
A pub has darts.  Real darts.  Not the plastic crap that you find in bars.

Excellent point(s)!  ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified