Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewers Association Top 50  (Read 3056 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Brewers Association Top 50
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 08:01:51 pm »
It is a dubious distinction that RI makes the list because of 'gansett, which isn't actually brewed in state. Hopefully they will finally get their brewery up and running in Pawtucket soon (cue Family Guy jokes).
Have you tried the 'gansett/ autocrat syrup coffee stout? A combo of two RI institutions known throughout New England. Its not something I would drink all the time but really surprisingly good.
I'm not a milk stout guy, but I agree that it was pretty good. I admit to having my share of their Del's Lemonade (another RI institution) Summer Shandy every summer. Actually most of their seasonals and one-offs are usually pretty good (their HP Lovecraft series, for example). The head brewer at Revival/Brutopia in Cranston does a lot of their recipe development, so it doesn't surprise me that their beers are good.

The main issue is mainly local politics. The owners brought back the Narragansett brand and keep pushing the local RI connection, but contract brew all their beer in NY. That hasn't sat well with a lot of Rhode Islanders.
Buddy Cianci is rolling in his grave...
Actually, I think he was OK with it...

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 05:54:17 am »
Oh Buddy!
It's nice to know that you don't have to live in the PNW to get in a regionally specific conversation that no one else knows or cares about.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
It is a dubious distinction that RI makes the list because of 'gansett, which isn't actually brewed in state. Hopefully they will finally get their brewery up and running in Pawtucket soon (cue Family Guy jokes).

I used to deep see fish out of Westerly every year. We used to go to CC O'Brien's in Pawcatuck for dinner and beers.

Ha!  I grew up in Westerly.

CC O'Brien's actually used to be my cousin's bar.  My Grandfather's brother Al Antoch owned a tiny bar called Al's Cafe up the street for decades.  Around the time Uncle Al died, my cousins moved it to the CC O'Brien's building back around 1980. I don't know exactly when they sold it, though, it's been at least 25 years since that happened.  That brings back a lot of memories.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:33:59 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:48 pm »

I used to deep see fish out of Westerly every year. We used to go to CC O'Brien's in Pawcatuck for dinner and beers.

Ha!  I grew up in Westerly.

CC O'Brien's actually used to be my cousin's bar.  My Grandfather's brother Al Antoch owned a tiny bar called Al's Cafe up the street for decades.  Around the time Uncle Al died, my cousins moved it to the CC O'Brien's building back around 1980. I don't know exactly when they sold it, though, it's been at least 25 years since that happened.  That brings back a lot of memories.

Absolutely phenomenal times. I loved it out there. Pawcatuck in particular seemed like a hip little town. More detail in the PM.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »
Quote from: erockrph
The main issue is mainly local politics. The owners brought back the Narragansett brand and keep pushing the local RI connection, but contract brew all their beer in NY. That hasn't sat well with a lot of Rhode Islanders.

I remember that Cottrell's (about 1/2 mile down the same street as above mentioned CC O'Brien's) used to contract brew Narragansett's beers, at least around 2011. I remember going to a homebrew club meeting at Cottrell's and sampling some.  The porter was pretty decent, as far as I can remember, but I haven't had any since then.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »
Quote from: erockrph

I remember that Cottrell's (about 1/2 mile down the same street as above mentioned CC O'Brien's) used to contract brew Narragansett's beers, at least around 2011. I remember going to a homebrew club meeting at Cottrell's and sampling some.  The porter was pretty decent, as far as I can remember, but I haven't had any since then.
I think the stuff that was brewed at Cottrell's is now brewed at Buzzard's Bay, and most of their beer comes from Gennessee. Hopefully at least some of that will change soon, and we can get them brewing back in the state.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer