Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Define Pub  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Define Pub
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 10:05:08 am »
50 states, 51 sets of laws including DC.

It's even worse than that since some metro or county/parish governments have additional licensing requirements.  There's a 'microbrewery' in New Orleans that's considered 2 or 3 different ways by the state and city government and local zoning district.  That's why I always laugh when people ask me when I'm going pro.

It's similar here in MD. Each county has its own set of liquor/licensing laws, and some of them get pretty stupid. Sadly, that's the reason why there aren't any breweries in my county, the laws are just too unfriendly compared to neighboring counties. We have a very pro-wine and anti beer liquor board, and it shows. A recent law to legalize growlers only barely passed, with the board "expressing concern that folks may sip from them on the way home." Yeah, all the Bud Light cans littering the roadways sure do prove that was a legitimate concern...  ::)

Weirdly, my county allows people who make wine and cider from a portion of their own ingredients to sell license-free. But no such love for beer, even though we do have local farms growing barely and hops.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.