Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washer seals for old kegs  (Read 3542 times)

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
Washer seals for old kegs
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:16:19 am »
Hi

I have some old Korney kegs - ball lock - with all inlet fittings removed on both the liquid outlet and gas inlet sides there remains a flat yellow sealing washer. It is about a half inch in diameter and has a hole in the centre to allow gas / liquid through. These are not o-rings but more flat  washers a bit like tap washers. I'm guessing originally they were 3-4 mm thick - now compressed they are about 2 mm thick (1/12 inch). Can anyone advise where I can source these washers from ? I suspect my kegs are 20 years old plus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Washer seals for old kegs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:11:33 am »
Post a photo?

I have some old kegs but what you describe does not sound familiar. Maybe they're old compressed o rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:40:16 am »
Sounds like you may be referring to the post "rings" that I've always considered an o-ring though they are more flat like a washer.

Like so?

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:56:12 am »
Sounds like you may be referring to the post "rings" that I've always considered an o-ring though they are more flat like a washer.

Like so?

Thanks for your comments so far - these are either so old they have squished down into almost a disk or they were disc like from the start - I worked out how to attach do here's a couple of pics:

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:42 am »
Your pictures aren't showing up (at least not for me).

Is this what you are after?

http://www.hopgoblin.com/Ball-Lock-Plastic-Insert-Type-C-p/kg87023.htm

Edit - A bit more info:

The inserts I linked to above actually come in two sizes (one being a bit taller than the other).  The version above is the taller kind and is the only kind I have found still available.  They fit "Type C" keg posts.  If you need the shorter ones, I think you could probably sand the taller ones down.

I have an older 10 gallon corny keg that came with posts that required the shorter insert, but I found that Type C posts would also fit the threads so I just replaced them.

Apparently, you can also replace the inserts with parts you can find at Home Depot.

http://hbd.org/uchima/kegging/kegadvent.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:51:43 am by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:32 pm »
Your pictures aren't showing up (at least not for me).

Is this what you are after?

http://www.hopgoblin.com/Ball-Lock-Plastic-Insert-Type-C-p/kg87023.htm

Edit - A bit more info:

The inserts I linked to above actually come in two sizes (one being a bit taller than the other).  The version above is the taller kind and is the only kind I have found still available.  They fit "Type C" keg posts.  If you need the shorter ones, I think you could probably sand the taller ones down.

I have an older 10 gallon corny keg that came with posts that required the shorter insert, but I found that Type C posts would also fit the threads so I just replaced them.

Apparently, you can also replace the inserts with parts you can find at Home Depot.

http://hbd.org/uchima/kegging/kegadvent.html

Thanks again some of those images look interesting but not sure they would be exactly right / l'll just try posting my images again here (I am in cell phone) if this doesn't work will switch to desktop:

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:09:17 pm »
I figured out how to view the pictures. 

Does that thing fit around the dip tube (dip tube goes through it) or does it sit on top of the dip tube?

From your first picture, it almost looks like the keg has female threads, is that the case?  Can you post a picture of the keg post?  Is there a manufacturer's stamp on the keg?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »

Did you squint?

I can't see anything.  Clue me in.

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »

Does that thing fit around the dip tube (dip tube goes through it) or does it sit on top of the dip tube?

From your first picture, it almost looks like the keg has female threads, is that the case?  Can you post a picture of the keg post?  Is there a manufacturer's stamp on the keg?

Thanks I'm glad someone figured out how to view those pix because it is a still a mystery to me.

Yes the keg has female threads. I think one of my pics showed the post but perhaps not in great detail - I'll just try putting that pic up again here (otherwise I will try to post some more details pics tonight) and will check the brand - from memory I couldn't find any branding markings on the kegs - but will check again.

THANK YOU so much for assisting - just want to get these bits of gear clean and functional - here's an attempt at a picture again:

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »

Did you squint?

I can't see anything.  Clue me in.

AHA ! Right click on the pics and choose the option - OPEN PICTURE IN NEW TAB (or other options there in) - appreciate any assistance you folks can give

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
No luck.  Nothing to click on.

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

Darn its confusing - where I have placed the pictures there is a small little square - or at least on the view I see and when you right click that you get some options. How do most people post pics to the forums I have been using Flickr. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:17 pm »

Darn its confusing - where I have placed the pictures there is a small little square - or at least on the view I see and when you right click that you get some options. How do most people post pics to the forums I have been using Flickr. Thanks again for your help and patience.
You need a link that includes the ".jpg" extension. I don't use flicker, but there should be something along the lines of permalink, share, or embed.

Offline BEAGLEBREWINGCO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 08:27:17 pm »

You need a link that includes the ".jpg" extension. I don't use flicker, but there should be something along the lines of permalink, share, or embed.

Oh thanks that was the tip I needed - here's a link using Drop Box hopefully .....

Offline Stevie