Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Software - Recommendations?  (Read 7226 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Brewing Software - Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 12:13:17 pm »
Try as I may, I am still using my Excel spreadsheet.

I created it, I know it like the back of my hand and it yields great results. I just don't like not knowing how things are calculated.

Now granted, it took some time to write, but now updates and improvements are easy and I can't see any reason to switch.

I'll bite :D

Do you happen to have a "community" version we/I could peruse?

Sure -> http://tinyurl.com/jhneq5l

Plus you can grab it from my signature. Remember though: I can;t guarantee you'll love it. I created it for myself.

Thanks a lot Derek!

In the words of the late ODB: "I like yo mothafu©kin' style!" :D

Cheers!

NP. New version is in the folder.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »
I have been using Promash for 18 years.  I've tried others and always gone back to Promash.

I would have to say the one reason I have not fully committed to ProMash is that I can use Excel on my IPad.

That's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to switching to Excel. Between Excel and OneDrive I can have EXACTLY the same spreadsheet on multiple platforms. Beersmith? Drives me nuts going back and forth between the smartphone and desktop versions.
This is why I use Brewer's Friend. I can access it on all my devices, and the integrated water calculator is the icing on the cake for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »
I have been using Promash for 18 years.  I've tried others and always gone back to Promash.

I would have to say the one reason I have not fully committed to ProMash is that I can use Excel on my IPad.

That's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to switching to Excel. Between Excel and OneDrive I can have EXACTLY the same spreadsheet on multiple platforms. Beersmith? Drives me nuts going back and forth between the smartphone and desktop versions.
This is why I use Brewer's Friend. I can access it on all my devices, and the integrated water calculator is the icing on the cake for me.

Very good point Eric. Excel is free for me because I already had Office so that's a plus!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 08:47:29 pm »
Very good point Eric. Excel is free for me because I already had Office so that's a plus!

By that note, MATLAB is free for me, but that's kinda killing a cockroach with a sledgehammer. Though it's a lot easier working with fomulas in MATLAB vs. Excel.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 02:21:38 am »

By that note, MATLAB is free for me, but that's kinda killing a cockroach with a sledgehammer. Though it's a lot easier working with fomulas in MATLAB vs. Excel.

Man did I hate MATLAB in college.

For anyone thinking of using Excel, remember to stay Macro free if you plan on using it on your IPad. Excel for IPad doesn't support Macros. That's why Brun Water doesn't work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:26:42 am by RPIScotty »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:05 am »

If only it were metric! ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 10:14:53 am »
I'll throw my vote in for beersmith 2. I have played around with the trial version of Promash, but for the most part, I am too new to the hobby to really notice the difference. I know Derek has updated a lot of info in promash, so If I wanted to start again, I might go that route with all the recommendations it gets. The teacher at my beginning and advanced brewing classes at my LHBS (siamesemoose) said that promash is better but not actively changing/updating anymore, so he suggested beersmith and it does everything a newbie like me wants. I know some have issues with the calculations, but my brews mostly end up right where it predicts they will, so I have no complaints with the program. I do also use Bru'nWater for water and some of the free calculators at brewersfriend.com for bottling, priming, and color conversions. In the end though, I am happy with my purchsae of Beersmith
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:36 am »

I can make that happen for you if you'd like.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:20 am »
I too use Brewer's Friend because of it being web based. I can fiddle with recipes on a tablet while having a beer on the couch and print it using wifi, sit down at the pc and even access it when I get an idea at work. 
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:15 am »
I have tried Brewers friend a couple of times. I like many of the features, but the workflow of "brewing" irritates me. Too many unnecessary clicks.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »
I have tried Brewers friend a couple of times. I like many of the features, but the workflow of "brewing" irritates me. Too many unnecessary clicks.
Yeah, I like it a lot but that particular aspect bothers me a bit too. Like everything else, I guess I just got used to it, and I don't yet know what would annoy me about "the devil I don't know".

RPIScotty

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 02:05:16 pm »
For anyone who downloaded my Excel sheet, I found an error in PPG calculation for sugars and corrected it.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 02:38:10 am »

Then that would go into the annals as a clear case of awesomeness.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

RPIScotty

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 05:29:55 am »

Then that would go into the annals as a clear case of awesomeness.

I'll take a closer look this week and see what I can do.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 06:10:17 am »
Yeah, I like it a lot but that particular aspect bothers me a bit too. Like everything else, I guess I just got used to it, and I don't yet know what would annoy me about "the devil I don't know".
I guess I feel the same way in that I haven't tried any others so I don't know what Steve means by the workflow of brewing.
Honestly very often the idea of going on a computer as a step in making beer isn't appealing and I take an envelope out of the recycling bin , figure out a good ratio of malts I have on hand and based on experience figure out how much I need to get a ballpark gravity, add up grain absorption, boil off etc. And start heating the volume of water it calls for while I grind the grain. A, bit of gypsum, an ounce of an appropriate bittering hops for 60 minutes, then depending on style, a lot or a little hops in a whirlpool or maybe 10 minutes and I'm good. It comes out just as good as when I futz around getting the " right" ibus, SRM, gravity, water chemistry etc. Other times I like fooling around with the program, especially if it's a new style I'm excited to try.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.