Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maryland and DC area Breweries, beer spots, or other places to drink craft beer  (Read 1409 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Hey Maryland and DC area brewers!

I am traveling to Bethesda starting on Friday for a week, and then again May 6 thru May 13, accompanying my wife who has been accepted into a hopefully life-saving clinical trial at the National Institutes of Health to treat her Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I am wanting to know of local craft establishments and breweries nearby worth going to, or if there are any beer happenings going on in that time.  My days are pretty booked with fun hospital stuff, and I don't know how much time I will have to myself in the evenings, but I am only travelling via Metro and Uber.  I suspect that I will not be able to get too far afield in the first week, but in the second, I will have my kids (and my wife if she feels well enough for anything) with me as we do the DC tourist thing....I want to know if I happen to be near something weather or not it is worth seeking out (and dragging my kids into for a rootbeer).

I know my homebrewer brethren will have a wide and varied opinion, and I am eager to hear them all (even if I can only visit one next week), for this is in lieu of the pilgrimage to Baltimore this year.  I missed San Diego last year (for same reason), but have met some of you in Michigan and Philly two and three years ago.  I still have my MD homebrewing totebag from the conference in Philly.

Thank you in advance for giving me something to look forward to next week.

g

https://www.youcaring.com/jonelle-sandel-525356/update/443340#.Vw_KAH                  18wJN.mailto

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline nathanajames

• 1st Kit
If you're looking for something brewed locally, check out Bluejacket, which is easily Metro accessible (use the Navy Yard stop). The food is OK, but the beer is good. Also, Right Proper recently opened a production brewery in NE DC (they have a brewpub in Shaw also). It's between the Brookland and Rhode Island Ave. Metro stops. It's BYOF, but there is a really good pizza place (Menomale) nearby. If you're just looking for a place with a good beer selection, I recommend Churchkey, Pizzeria Paradiso, Brookland Pint, or Scion. All are pretty Metro accessible. If you are into Belgian beers I highly recommend The Sovereign in Georgetown, but you will probably want to Uber there.

I wish your wife the best of luck with her treatment.

narvin

Good luck to her, it sounds very promising that she's been accepted in the trial.

I can recommend DC Brau and 3 Stars for breweries down that way, in addition to what was already mentioned.  The beer bars like Churchkey have good selections but you're going to pay DC prices, of course.

You probably won't make it too far north (traffic can be a b****), but if you do there are other good spots to hit, including brewpubs, beer bars, and farm breweries.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Thanks guys....I will keep an eye out for these places.  I also noted a few places I have seen from my most recent trip that are near my hotel that are on the AHA member discount list.  In Colorado, (home of the BA and AHA and GABF) and especially in Denver, the local establishments get people using the discount on a daily basis.  When traveling, I love to flash my card, to see if the server even knows what I am talking about.  It is 50/50, but I like to let them know that the discount program or other AHA members steered me to their establishments.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...