Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling strike water to remove chloramine  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
Boiling strike water to remove chloramine
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:46:20 am »
My municipal water is treated with chloramine.  I boil my mash / sparge water for 10 minutes to remove it, then I let the water cool to my strike temp. Since boiling water removes dissolved oxygen, I was wondering if this was bad for the mash chemistry.  Should I oxygenate my water before mashing?  I know I could use campden tablets to remove chloramine but they also add sulfate which I am trying to avoid. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this.  Thanks

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Boiling strike water to remove chloramine
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:57:04 am »
Just curious why are sulfates a problem? As far as I know using Campden tablets will add negligable amounts. I dont think it would be any more of a problem than what might already be present in your water.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:34:16 am »
I thought boiling removed chlorine but not chloramine.  Is that incorrect?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
And campden would add sulfites, not sulfate IIRC. 
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
That's my thought as well, but according to the SF PUC it can be removed with 20 minutes of gentle boiling. I know people that brew all grain with water treated with chloramine. Their beers are ultra phenolic.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:56:56 am »
And campden would add sulfites, not sulfate IIRC.

And they don't really do that either, AFAIK.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
Correct. Brungard and AJ have posted on this many times. Basically if your water supplier treats with chloramine (and more and more do), then boiling is not effective.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11392.msg142640#msg142640
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:11:36 pm by blair.streit »

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:08:50 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  Sounds like campden tablets are the way to go.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:10:51 pm »
Correct. Brungard and AJ have posted on this many times. Basically if your water supplier treats with chloramine (and more and more do), then boiling is not effective.

That is my understanding as well.  Need to use Campden or carbon filtration to get the chloramines out, to prevent Band-Aid flavors in the final beer.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »
Yes, Campden tablets (metabisulfite salt) do add sulfate to your water. However considering the typically low dosing of that compound, you are only added a couple ppm sulfate to the water. So it shouldn't be a concern. PS: they also add a couple ppm of chloride too! Read the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to understand the reactions with metabisulfite and daughter products.

AJ and I say that boiling for chloramine removal is ineffective...but only in the fact that it takes a LOT of energy to drive off chloramine. It works, but its not a good use of your time or resources. Chloramine is far less volatile than chlorine gas and it is harder to drive out of the water. Given the ease with which metabisulfite can remove chloramine and the fact that it DOES NOT result in any residual sulfite in your beer, you would be wise to employ that treatment in most cases.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 12:54:57 pm »
Yes, Campden tablets (metabisulfite salt) do add sulfate to your water. However considering the typically low dosing of that compound, you are only added a couple ppm sulfate to the water. So it shouldn't be a concern. PS: they also add a couple ppm of chloride too! Read the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to understand the reactions with metabisulfite and daughter products.

AJ and I say that boiling for chloramine removal is ineffective...but only in the fact that it takes a LOT of energy to drive off chloramine. It works, but its not a good use of your time or resources. Chloramine is far less volatile than chlorine gas and it is harder to drive out of the water. Given the ease with which metabisulfite can remove chloramine and the fact that it DOES NOT result in any residual sulfite in your beer, you would be wise to employ that treatment in most cases.

Good info, Martin.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 02:16:14 pm »

That is my understanding as well.  Need to use Campden or carbon filtration to get the chloramines out, to prevent Band-Aid flavors in the final beer.

I don't think Band Aids smell like they used to anymore.  I was helping a guy out with a chlorine issue and he said Band Aids don't have a smell and sure as heck I raided the medicine cabinet and alas, no smell or at least nothing like the days when they came in the metal tins.  (I am 43)  Then he asked how I knew what they TASTED like and it was awkward...   ;D 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 02:34:06 pm »

I don't think Band Aids smell like they used to anymore.  I was helping a guy out with a chlorine issue and he said Band Aids don't have a smell and sure as heck I raided the medicine cabinet and alas, no smell or at least nothing like the days when they came in the metal tins.  (I am 43)  Then he asked how I knew what they TASTED like and it was awkward...   ;D
I agree. I tried to find a better comparison, but when I poured myself a taster of Chloraseptic they kicked me out of Walgreen's

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 02:35:06 pm »

The politically correct term these days is probably "medicine cabinet" or "hospital sanitizer".  After all, "Band-Aid" is a Registered trademark anyway, similar to Kleenex, Xerox, Google, iPhone, Trivago, Hupy & Abraham (does anyone actually use Trivago or Hupy & Abraham?!?), etc.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

Thanks for making me smarter...again!

www.dennybrew.com