Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Scoring and Awards  (Read 5821 times)

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
Re: NHC Scoring and Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:49 am »

Myself, got a nice scoresheet detailing how my Schwarz was "way too roasty" while the other judge said it was "very smooth but lacking any roast"

...whatev, I'll take my 37 and try again next year.

I have read many of my scoresheets with this on there. One judge picks up astringency and the other says its creamy.

Last year I entered a bourbon barrel aged english barleywine, one judged noted that the barrel completely overwhelmed the barleywine, the other said there was no barrel character  :o
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: NHC Scoring and Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:57 pm »

Myself, got a nice scoresheet detailing how my Schwarz was "way too roasty" while the other judge said it was "very smooth but lacking any roast"

...whatev, I'll take my 37 and try again next year.

I have read many of my scoresheets with this on there. One judge picks up astringency and the other says its creamy.

Last year I entered a bourbon barrel aged english barleywine, one judged noted that the barrel completely overwhelmed the barleywine, the other said there was no barrel character  :o

Apparently this is fairly common, but also very frustrating especially when you only have 2 judges for your beer and they say opposite things. 

Had my CDA recently at a local comp (not NHC) and one judge said there was no hops and it tasted like a Porter and was good but not representative of the style, the other judge talked about massive piney hop aroma flavor and maybe even tone down on the hops.  No hop judge scored it a 31, good hops judge scored a 37 and it took 2nd place CDA, so I'm really not going to complain too much but reading the feedback you'd think they weren't even judging the same beer.  They obviously didn't talk to each other at all.  They just looked and the scores were within 6 points and called it good.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year