Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Faucet Wrench  (Read 4344 times)

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Faucet Wrench
« on: April 20, 2016, 05:54:34 am »
I ordered the parts I need to make my keezer the other day and they are on the way. Yay! I had meant to post here but forgot to ask if a faucet wrench is necessary. I assume it's just a convenience and that I can install with conventional tools. Is that correct? They are perlick 650 series if that matters. Also, even if it's not necessary are they handy or just a gimick.?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

Re: Faucet Wrench
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:52 am »
They are good to use as they don't scratch up the collar. You can use other tools, but a faucet wrench is best and not expensive. They range from $3-8 depending on quality.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:08:10 am »
That's good to know. I'll order one but probably won't wait on it to install. I'll just try to be careful.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:39 am »
I hand tightened and got away with that for a couple of weeks while I waited on a faucet wrench.

PS. You may be able to borrow one from a friend.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:45:35 am »
Definitely handy and allow you to get everything nice and snug without damaging any of the finish as already mentioned. 

A cheaper all-metal one came with my tower, but I bought one that is covered in rubber/silicone from the wrench head down and like that one much more (other than the point that goes in the hole on the faucet, the contact points are rubberized).

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:23 am »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:07:39 am »

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:38 am »
I would get one that has a hex nut wrench as well as a spanner.

http://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Heavy-Duty-Faucet-Wrench/dp/B000BPATKU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461169743&sr=8-8&keywords=faucet+wrench
What's the hex side for?

It tightens the large hex nut on the inside of the kegerator. The nut secures the faucet to the shank, otherwise when you spin the faucet with your faucet wrench, the shank will just spin around too.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:15 am »
I would get one that has a hex nut wrench as well as a spanner.

http://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Heavy-Duty-Faucet-Wrench/dp/B000BPATKU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461169743&sr=8-8&keywords=faucet+wrench
What's the hex side for?

It tightens the large hex nut on the inside of the kegerator. The nut secures the faucet to the shank, otherwise when you spin the faucet with your faucet wrench, the shank will just spin around too.
Thanks. I'll go ahead and get that. Any other specialized tools people get for their serving system I should be aware of. I'm thinking I should get caps for the faucets before fruit fly season.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:38:37 am »
Line cleaner - a bunch of ways to approach this. I use a modified garden sprayer (Google diy beer line cleaner). I plan on building a recirc system at some point.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:42:48 am »
Line cleaner - a bunch of ways to approach this. I use a modified garden sprayer (Google diy beer line cleaner). I plan on building a recirc system at some point.
That does not sound like the most fun part about beer on tap. Obviously something I need to think of though. FWIW I sprung for the antimicrobial lines.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:45:36 am »
You will still need to clean them.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 08:45:48 am »
I pump BLC from a spare keg. Same idea.  Still need to build the garden sprayer.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
Any other specialized tools people get for their serving system I should be aware of.

If you don't already have them, 7/8" and 11/16" wrenches for keg posts (the kind with the 12 point ends).  Similar to the below, though the ones I bought at Home Depot were half the price.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15680582657907231482?lsf=seller:9119074,store:7489071587148312241&prds=oid:8980665856246268947&q=7/8+wrench&hl=en&ei=SwMZV7SRLYT3mAH0vJKQBA&lsft=sid:LIAxSgLx376649045x26603605325&lsft=gclid:CJSvpdyWoMwCFQkyaQod-esJOw

Also, if you are using stepless ear clamps (which I highly recommend), you'll need an ear clamper.  They are a bit pricey, but you can usually find a good deal on Ebay.

This kit actually isn't a bad deal unless you already have some of the tools: http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-brewer-tool-kit

I assume you are setting everything up with MFL connections rather than using barbed fittings?

Teflon tape is also necessary, and keg lube is nice to have around.  I like this stuff as it is fairly easy to wash off: https://www.morebeer.com/products/cip-film-keg-lube-4-oz.html?site_id=7

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 11:07:57 am »
You will still need to clean them.
Yep. Sounds like they might last longer though?