Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Water From Deep Wells in Munich?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Brewing Water From Deep Wells in Munich?
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:45 am »
In the past two days I have run across two referrences for Breweries in the Munich area using deep bored wells to source their water. The water is said to be soft, but no detailed information. Martin may have more information, or might have interest.

The first was on a site about the Ayinger tour (someday we will do that one). Scroll down a little, and there is a picture of a display depicting the geology, and a water fountain built out of a rock, and a little text.
http://allaboutbeer.com/paulaner-water/

The other was this one from Paulaner. It states that the deep water is similar to the water in Pilsen. It also points out that Germany has banned fracking - which made me smile, as Germany has essentially zero petroleum resources.
http://allaboutbeer.com/paulaner-water/

For my own brewing, I have been diluting 1 gallon of my water with 9 gallons of RO for Dunkels. I might as well just use RO and add some minerals.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Brewing Water From Deep Wells in Munich?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:07 am »
Interesting. All of southern Bavaria sits on a mantle of clastic soils that overlie a thick clay layer which then overlies the bedrock. Since the clastic soils are largely derived from the Alps and its predominantly carbonate rock, groundwater in clastic soils tends to be hard and alkaline.

However, it appears that Paulaner is getting their groundwater from a deeper zone that may avoid the harder water above. Since they are a relatively small user of groundwater (compared to a city), they may be able to get away with drawing water from that deeper zone. Hopefully it will last.

Interestingly, Bavarian waters can generally be decarbonated fairly well into soft and less alkaline water that is more suited to brewing. Look at the 'boiled' Munich profile in Bru'n Water to understand the change that can be produced.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:02:54 am »
Interesting. All of southern Bavaria sits on a mantle of clastic soils that overlie a thick clay layer which then overlies the bedrock. Since the clastic soils are largely derived from the Alps and its predominantly carbonate rock, groundwater in clastic soils tends to be hard and alkaline.

However, it appears that Paulaner is getting their groundwater from a deeper zone that may avoid the harder water above. Since they are a relatively small user of groundwater (compared to a city), they may be able to get away with drawing water from that deeper zone. Hopefully it will last.

Interestingly, Bavarian waters can generally be decarbonated fairly well into soft and less alkaline water that is more suited to brewing. Look at the 'boiled' Munich profile in Bru'n Water to understand the change that can be produced.
Yeah, one gallon of my tap water in 9 gallons of RO hits the treated profile you had in Zymurgy.

Mrs. R has started to ask me about a trip she wants to do. I might try and line up some brewery tours if not too pricey - Ayinger is pricey unless you have 15 or more.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:15 am »
Look at the 'boiled' Munich profile in Bru'n Water to understand the change that can be produced.

Does this potentially mean that the "boiled" Munich profile is fairly close to what they are using today?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:15:11 am »
Look at the 'boiled' Munich profile in Bru'n Water to understand the change that can be produced.

Does this potentially mean that the "boiled" Munich profile is fairly close to what they are using today?
If the statement that they have water like Pilsen, maybe not.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:43 am »

It means that that profile is easily replicated in Munich and some breweries do employ a lime softening pre-treatment system for their water prior to it entering the brewhouse. Lime softening produces a similar result to that of boiling and decanting.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
mantle of clastic soils

Not a bad band name.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:33 pm »
All good info. Thanks Jeff and Martin.
Jon H.