Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: D.C. area  (Read 1980 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
D.C. area
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:54:58 pm »
My wife and I will be flying into Baltimore the weekend before NHC to spend some time in and around D.C. before I send her home Wednesday so I can attend HomebrewCon (man, I hate writing HomebrewCon).
So where would y'all stay?  Alexandria?  Annapolis? 
It has been several years since we were in D.C. - the last time we stayed near DuPont Circle in a B&B.
Any recommendations as to where it may be fun to stay without spending a large fortune?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: D.C. area
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
My wife is there a fair amount for work, so I can't help on places to stay because she never has to pay for it.  That being said, put ChurchKey and BlueJacket on your places to stop if possible.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:54:51 am »
We're going in August and plan to stay in Tyson's Corner.  Quick Silver line train ride into the city and right near a Gordon Biersch and BJ's Brewery (mmm...Pizzookie!).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:26 am »
Bluejacket was great when we were there last month. Highly recommended! Enjoyed the Gordon Biersch in Navy yards(?) as well. First visit to a GB
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:10:50 pm »
My wife and I love GB. Sure it's a chain, but life would be better if more chains were like them.

The garlic fries are win.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:16:10 pm »
My wife and I love GB. Sure it's a chain, but life would be better if more chains were like them.
Totally agree. I've had a great experience every time I've been there, and being a German lager fan they do an excellent job.

I like BJ's OK, but maybe I just haven't tried the right house beers to get excited about. I'm curious if anyone likes a specific beer there that may be worth trying. They do have some more difficult to find beers in their guest bottles (esp. the Belgians).

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:42 pm »
Totally agree. I've had a great experience every time I've been there, and being a German lager fan they do an excellent job.

IME, it depends on how much latitude they give the brewer.  The New Orleans one is putting out some fantastic beer right now.  Sonny has been brewing for decades, though.  He is making some excellent one-offs as well as brewing the regulars better than they have been in years.

I like BJ's OK, but maybe I just haven't tried the right house beers to get excited about. I'm curious if anyone likes a specific beer there that may be worth trying. They do have some more difficult to find beers in their guest bottles (esp. the Belgians).

The Grand Cru and the PM Porter are the only ones I bother with usually.  The PM Porter is a better dark beer than the Tatonka Stout.

Offline Ethan J

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:50:43 am »
Port City in Alexandria is doing some great stuff, their porter is absolutely a must-try, and their witbier is quite good as well. 3 Stars, Bluejacket, Right Proper, DC Brau, and Atlas are all in DC-proper and worth checking out. If you can make it out to Sterling by Dulles Airport, Ocelot Brewing is doing some of the best stuff in the area. Phenomenal IPAs and pale ales, 20+ taps in their tasting room, and I have yet to be disappointed by a beer of theirs. Also obligatory plug for the brewery I work at, Sehkraft Brewing, we'll have a good variety of house beers by then, plus 35 taps of other local/international options, and we're just a couple blocks from Clarendon metro (orange line).