Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trip to Boston and Burlington  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Markkoks

• 1st Kit
Trip to Boston and Burlington
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:22:21 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm heading up to Boston for a day tomorrow and then I'll be making my way up to Burlington, VT, for a couple of days. 
Looking to see some nice breweries and any bar you guys can recommend, anything is most appreciated!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Trip to Boston and Burlington
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 05:12:44 am »
Boston - Night Shift (Everett actually) and Trillium (no tasters but bottles and growlers).  Row 34 restaurant next door will probably have Trillium on tap.

Burlington - VT Pub and Brewery, Burlington Beer Company, Fiddlehead (Shelburne) 14th Star (St. Albans).  Stop in Waterbury (Exit 10 off I-89) and hit Prohibition Pig for lunch/dinner.  They usually have Hill Farmstead and Alchemist on tap (and maybe Focal Banger too).

Here's a map I keep for Northern VT (haven't updated it in a couple months though).  Hill Farmstead is the one all by itself out in Greensboro, then Lost Nation and Rock Art in Morrisville west of that.  Prohibition Pig In Waterbury Center.  All the rest are in the Greater Burlington area, except Fiddlehead (south) and 14th Star (north).

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:24:57 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:24:37 am »
Cambridge:

Cambridge Brewing Company has a decent restaurant (which Trillium does not and Row 34 is pretty pricey).
Mead Hall doesn't brew but great spot and beer selection.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:29 am »
My wife and I had a good time at American Flatbread Pizza/Zero Gravity Brewpub.
Great pizza and beer. I would also recommend Queen City Brewing. I had a bunch of their beers at the VT brewfest and they were pretty solid.  They were also pretty cool guys.
Mark

Offline slabtownebc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:40 am »
LOrd Hobo in Somerville is by farm the best beer/food bar in or near Boston in my opinion.  Bukowskis has two locations one near the Pru and one in Cambrige, this is my second favorite beer/food bar in Boston.  As far as Burlington goes I would skip Vt pub other than being Noonan's place there is nothing special about it.  The Farmhouse Tap and grill is solid but a little pricey.  I would recommend Hitting Three Pennys in Montpelier on the way by, this place is my favorite Vt bar.  Also if you do stop in Waterbury and are looking for a real nice place check out Hen of the Wood (again a little pricey) it is similar in food style to Armsby Abbey but not quite as solid beer menu.  Also near Pro Pig is the Reservoir and Blackback pub, both have solid beer menus as well.  IMHO I would skip Burlington and stay in the Waterbury/ Montpilier area I thought the scene was much better, my wife thought differently. 
On Tap: Marzen, Wee Heavey
Corked and Caged: Dark Saison with brett, oak, red wine and  currants (AHA recipe)           
Conditioning:  Empty
Secondary:     Fest Beer
On Deck:       Chimay Grand Reserve

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »
Boston - Night Shift (Everett actually) and Trillium (no tasters but bottles and growlers).  Row 34 restaurant next door will probably have Trillium on tap.

Burlington - VT Pub and Brewery, Burlington Beer Company, Fiddlehead (Shelburne) 14th Star (St. Albans).  Stop in Waterbury (Exit 10 off I-89) and hit Prohibition Pig for lunch/dinner.  They usually have Hill Farmstead and Alchemist on tap (and maybe Focal Banger too).

Here's a map I keep for Northern VT (haven't updated it in a couple months though).  Hill Farmstead is the one all by itself out in Greensboro, then Lost Nation and Rock Art in Morrisville west of that.  Prohibition Pig In Waterbury Center.  All the rest are in the Greater Burlington area, except Fiddlehead (south) and 14th Star (north).

Any recommendations around the North Shore (Beverly/Salem) area? I'll be out that way for work in a few weeks so anything I can hit between Logan and that area would be awesome.

I've heard a lot about Notch, but they're just getting opened, right?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:36:52 pm »
I'm not sure Notch is open yet, but may be by the time you come in.  Not too far up the road is Newburyport.  Newburyport brewing is ok, but right near there is Riverwalk Brewing.  A small place for samples and fills and some really good beer.

Closer to Logan is Night Shift Brewing and Idle Hands in Malden may be opening soon.

If you're in the area over the weekend, make a trip north into NH and hit Smuttynose (great brewhouse), Throwback, Earth Eagle, Stoneface and just over the bridge in Kittery, ME - Tributary.  I can keep going north if you want me too :)

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »
I'm not sure Notch is open yet, but may be by the time you come in.  Not too far up the road is Newburyport.  Newburyport brewing is ok, but right near there is Riverwalk Brewing.  A small place for samples and fills and some really good beer.

Closer to Logan is Night Shift Brewing and Idle Hands in Malden may be opening soon.

If you're in the area over the weekend, make a trip north into NH and hit Smuttynose (great brewhouse), Throwback, Earth Eagle, Stoneface and just over the bridge in Kittery, ME - Tributary.  I can keep going north if you want me too :)
That's awesome, thanks! I won't be in town long enough to venture far. I was in Portland, ME and out to Bar Harbor last summer. Definitely some good beer being made out that way.