15 - 17.5 Gallons / 56-66L
3 (33.3%)
20 - 25 Gallons / 75 - 94L
1 (11.1%)
Full Barrel - 1.5 Barrel / 113L -  208L
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 26, 2016, 10:27:37 am

Author Topic: SS Concial sizes  (Read 2204 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
SS Concial sizes
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:27:37 am »
I am talking to the wife about stepping up to a SS Conical. 

So things to consider, for me:

1)I don't brew lagers.  If I did, I would do a small batch because I am not an avid lager drinker.
2)I want a versatile fermenter, that has a lot to offer. (via gallon extensions)
3)Better Yeast harvesting
4)Durability of 304 SS
5)Meeting the Sanitation level I prefer.  Not a fan of my spiedels transferring hop aroma after thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing.  The ability to use boiling water has its advantages
6)Safety advantages.

any knowledge or advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: SS Concial sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:48:31 am »
i have 2 blichmann 14.5s and they are perfect size for me.

I'd go with the sanitary fittings if you can, I don't have them, but if I could do it all over, I would.

figure out a way to pump into the conical in place if you're doing anything bigger than a 5 gal batch.

I don't sanitize with boiling - seems kind of unnecessary - iodophor or starsan is pretty easy to use.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:29:10 pm »
I have one of the original 12 gal Blichmann conicals and it has been a champ. It does use what amounts to weld-less fittings. I guess it would be better to have welded sanitary fittings, but it hasn't proven necessary.

I agree with Paul that boiling sanitation isn't necessary. However after about 13 years of use, I noticed a very thin layer on the interior of the fermenter. If I really worked at it with my fingernail, I could wear through it. I then realized I needed to clean a little more thoroughly on occasion. The SST did allow me to circulate 160F PBW solution through the vessel and that took that layer right off. I have a pump and RIMS that makes heating and recirculating the solution easy.

I typically only brew 5.5 gal batches, so I'm not really effectively using the fermenter volume. I only produce yeast sediment up to about the limit of the rotating racking port. I'm sure it would be better to brew bigger batches, but its rare for me. Anyhow, it not necessary or desirable for me to drain any yeast out of the cone since that would mean that there would be beer left in the fermenter that I couldn't reach with the racking port.

I guess a smaller fermenter might be better for me. Maybe one of that SST brew buckets is in my future?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »
I agree with Paul that boiling sanitation isn't necessary. However after about 13 years of use, I noticed a very thin layer on the interior of the fermenter. If I really worked at it with my fingernail, I could wear through it. I then realized I needed to clean a little more thoroughly on occasion. The SST did allow me to circulate 160F PBW solution through the vessel and that took that layer right off. I have a pump and RIMS that makes heating and recirculating the solution easy.

I've found a warm pbw cycle for 1 hr  followed by a rinse and then an Acid #5 recirculation for 20-30 min 1-2 times per year helps turn it back to new condition, fyi.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
I guess a smaller fermenter might be better for me. Maybe one of that SST brew buckets is in my future?
I use the 7G SS Brewtech for my 5G batches and love it. Well build, easy to use, easy to clean. The only reason I would consider going up to a conical is if I started brewing larger batches or found a pressing need to drop yeast.

To your earlier point about replacing the yeast/trub with beer that ends up below the racking arm that had never even occurred to me. It makes me less interested in getting a conical, as turning the conical upside down and drinking that last quart seems impractical and I would be embarrassed if someone caught me doing it  :P

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:44:56 pm »
I use the 7G SS Brewtech for my 5G batches and love it. Well build, easy to use, easy to clean. The only reason I would consider going up to a conical is if I started brewing larger batches or found a pressing need to drop yeast.

To your earlier point about replacing the yeast/trub with beer that ends up below the racking arm that had never even occurred to me. It makes me less interested in getting a conical, as turning the conical upside down and drinking that last quart seems impractical and I would be embarrassed if someone caught me doing it  :P

But in the end, you would take one for the team though right?  ;D
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:28 pm »
But in the end, you would take one for the team though right?  ;D
6 days a week and twice on Sunday  ;)

Offline westcoastbrew

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewingDeal.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »
I have a 7 gallon SS Brew Tech and a 14.  Both work great.  If you brew more 5 gallon batches, I would go with the 7 gallon unit.