Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My kegerator  (Read 3506 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My kegerator
« on: April 20, 2016, 05:55:15 pm »
I am loving my kegerator setup. I just added a second tap so I am feeling my wheaties.

2x 2.5G corny kegs with Perlick flow control faucets mounted directly on the kegs.  In the fridge. Open the door and serve.

The flow control is awesome. I can directly fill bottles. No beer gun. No growler filler adapter. Just dial down the flow and go.  I love being able to dial in the amount of foam when pouring a pint also.

Grab my mini keg charger and I can hit the road.

Here is a closer look.

I know this setup is too small for a lot of folks but it's great for me.

The secret is a little (expensive) adapter from Chi Company. Regular QD to Faucet adapters won't fit on the Perlick faucets.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3343

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: My kegerator
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:06:15 pm »
Very nice set up!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07:46 am »
I like it! Very nice. This is a really neat little setup; it's simple and compact.
Jesse

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »
Since I drink my beer slower
 and don't have people over much kegging has not been a priority, but this is a setup I like a lot.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »
How are you handling drips?   I have always used picnic faucets on the kegs in my brewing refrigerator because they can be shaken to empty the faucet at the end of a pour. 

I am with you on smaller kegs.  I have been using 3-gallon strap handle AEB kegs for the last few years for 3-gallon batches.  However, I recently decided to switch over to using 2.5-gallon rubber handle AEB kegs for several reasons, not the least of which being that 3-gallons is still too big for a standard batch size.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:53:08 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 08:46:08 pm »
How are you handling drips?   I have always used picnic faucets on the kegs in my brewing refrigerator because they can be shaken to empty the faucet at the end of a pour. 

I am with you on smaller kegs.  I have been using 3-gallon strap handle AEB kegs for the last few years for 3-gallons batches.  However, I recently decided to switch over to using 2.5-gallon rubber handle AEB kegs for several reasons, not the least of which being that 3-gallons is still too big for a standard batch size.
I've really been enjoying the MoreBeer 2.5G torpedo kegs lately. They also have a 1.75G version.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »
I've read mixed reviews on the torpedoes. They seem like an awesome idea and the price with free shipping is great!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »
I've read mixed reviews on the torpedoes. They seem like an awesome idea and the price with free shipping is great!
Compared to used soda kegs I find them of superior design, reliability and value. YMMV, but I get more clear beer and fewer problems compared to my soda kegs. I guess we'll see if I feel the same way in 10 years when they're the same age.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 11:27:17 pm »

I am with you on smaller kegs.  I have been using 3-gallon strap handle AEB kegs for the last few years for 3-gallons batches.  However, I recently decided to switch over to using 2.5-gallon rubber handle AEB kegs for several reasons, not the least of which being that 3-gallons is still too big for a standard batch size.
When I close the fridge door the taps hang over and empty shelf in the door. Some drips end up in there. Some end up under the taps at the base of the fridge. I just wipe both occasionally with a wet paper towel. It hasn't been bad. There are no puddles. Just brown spots from dried beer.

I have had this setup about 3 months.