Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malted Barley Ice Cream  (Read 2901 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Malted Barley Ice Cream
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »
I have had two odd ice cream flavor ideas recently. One involved soaking a cigar in heated cream, then straining it out and proceeding to make ice cream with the tobacco cream.

The other less toxic idea was to "mash" some malted barley (Chocolate Malt or Crystal, Probably) in some hot cream, then strain it out and proceed to make an ice cream with the cream. I figure that I could either flavor additionally with something like chocolate or vanilla (maybe a chocolate-chocolate malt gelato?) or just add sugar to taste (Maltose Ice Cream). Does this sound crazy?

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Malted Barley Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:29 am »
My idea is to use some DME
in a chocolate ice cream, I haven't tried it yet
you're cigar idea sounds pretty revolting
Dan S. from NJ

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:09:26 am »
Mashing in warm milk might work, but you'd save yourself trouble and expense by simply making regular ice cream but replace some of the sugar with malt extract.  If you mash in cream, you will waste a lot of the cream that gets soaked up in the grain, unrecoverable -- if it will even mash at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:16 am »
The malted barley ice cream sounds yummy. The cigar idea, um, less yummy.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:36 am »
Mashing in warm milk might work, but you'd save yourself trouble and expense by simply making regular ice cream but replace some of the sugar with malt extract.  If you mash in cream, you will waste a lot of the cream that gets soaked up in the grain, unrecoverable -- if it will even mash at all.

no, i wouldn't mash in cream, i would steep in cream (and still add plenty of sugar).