Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Josh Ritter fans here?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Any Josh Ritter fans here?
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:11:06 pm »
I've only seen Josh live once and it was an awesome show at First Ave in Minneapolis.  I've listened to most of his stuff, and I have to say that I don't think there are many other singer/songwriters out there who can match him. 

If you haven't heard any Josh Ritter, check out a few of these tunes.

Galahad

Kathleen

The Curse

Getting Ready to Get Down

Nightmares

I could keep going here for a long time, but this gives you a pretty good sampling. 

As for albums, I think Hello Starling is a masterpiece, and The Beast in its Tracks is also solid.  If you ever get a chance to see him live, go for it!  Apparently, Stephen King is a big fan.  Josh also wrote a novel that I haven't read yet. Either way, if you're into handcrafted tunes, you'll like Josh.  Let me know what you think.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Any Josh Ritter fans here?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:44:54 pm »
Brother from another mother! We've been listening to him for a good 10+ yrs. Been to 3 of his shows including one at First Ave., another at the Fitz in SP, and at Park West in Chicago. He puts on a terrific show. Hard to believe so few people have heard of him. He such good songwriter. You have highlighted several great songs there. Galahad is so good. The Curseā€¦ If I had to pick one album as a favorite, it would be Animal Years. Anyone into songwriting would be well served to check out his stuff.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
Right on, neddles!  I'm surprised to see so many views with nobody chiming in, but like you said, he is surprisingly not very well-known.  I appreciate handmade music just as much as handmade beer.  Cheers! 

Next time you're brewing, load up some Josh Ritter on Spotify and see what you think. 

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:53:24 am »
The local radio was playing , Getting Ready to Get Down , for a while.
I'm also familiar with Kathleen.
Pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:57:32 am by dzlater »
Dan S. from NJ

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:40:17 pm »
He seems talented but too "singer-songwritery" for my personal taste. I want John Belushi in a toga to grab the acoustic guitar out of his hands and smash it against the wall and then sheepishly say "sorry".😉
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.