Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Hop Blocker doesn't  (Read 6561 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Blichmann Hop Blocker doesn't
« on: April 22, 2016, 06:04:19 pm »
As far as I can tell my new Blichmann Hop Blocker does little to nothing in terms of blocking hops.  I thought it would be wonderful to have all those little hop particles swimming free, releasing all their goodness.  I'm pretty sure the hops did their job.  The BHB let so much through it plugged my plate chiller.  I mean plugged it dead.  I had to have the pump pushing and me sucking to get flow restored.

So I'm a gallon short on my batch and out $60.  Back to the teabag method.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Blichmann Hop Blocker doesn't
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 05:25:35 am »
Contact Blichmann and see if they have any tips on using it. I don't have one, so no help here.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:14:44 am »
Check YouTube. I feel I've seen videos of it in action.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »
Yep, I did the research before buying it.  I used it according to instructions.  No rocket science involved, it just didn't filter any hops.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:20:49 pm »
Yep, I did the research before buying it.  I used it according to instructions.  No rocket science involved, it just didn't filter any hops.

I have heard it really works the best with leaf/whole hops. Did you use those or pellets?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »

I have heard it really works the best with leaf/whole hops. Did you use those or pellets?

Pellets.  I would imagine it would work better with whole cone hops but even the users guide says it was designed with pellet hops in mind.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »
Have you tried the hop taco/hop stopper design?  The hop taco/hop stopper is only useful with a counterflow or plate chiller.  This design will clog with break when used with an immersion chiller.

http://kotmf.com/articles/hoptaco.php

http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/products/the-hop-stopper/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 10:08:55 am »
I honestly don't know why anyone would try to filter pellet hops. A simple whirlpool works quite well and the little amount that makes it into the fermentor is nothing to worry about.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 10:29:51 am »
I honestly don't know why anyone would try to filter pellet hops. A simple whirlpool works quite well and the little amount that makes it into the fermentor is nothing to worry about.

Being whirlpool impaired, I don't even do that much.  They go right through my pump and into the fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
Pellets clog up my Blichman Therminator as soon as I start the pump in spite of utilizing a whirlpool and a stainless scrubby on the outlet of my kettle.  I have given up on loose hops and bag them all in fairly large, loose bags.  This works OK for me, but I tend to increase the amounts to make up for it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »

I may try this.  I tried to whirlpool on this go around but I think the Hop Blocker disrupted the flow.  I've been avoiding whirlpooling as the only method because it takes so long to flush the plate chiller until no hop particles come out.  But the bottom line is I just don't want the chiller to plug.

I know Denny and others really like an immersion chiller.  I don't.  It takes too long and the cool wort is exposed to airborne bugs and wild yeast.  Admittedly the chances are remote of this being the cause of a spoiled batch, but I think it is best to remove all possibilities.  Its a basic QC issue: identify critical control points and eliminate the possible hazard.

In true Denny fashion I'll just keep experimenting until I find what works for me on my system the best.  I guess $60 wasn't a bad cost for an experiment.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

narvin

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:40 pm »

I don't try, I do  :). It's effortless and keeps the plate chiller clean.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:01 am »

What is your filtration method?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

narvin

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:06:23 am »

What is your filtration method?

Homemade hop stopper.  Going strong for 6 years now.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5197.msg61486#msg61486

Before:

After:

Offline westcoastbrew

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewingDeal.com
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:51 pm »
I use a hop blocker and have a lot of success with it.  As Denny pointed out, I typical whirlpool and then slowly drain the kettle.  You may want to try slowing your drain speed and see if that helps any.