Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calibrate those thermometers!  (Read 1727 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Calibrate those thermometers!
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:47:29 pm »
My last few batches have had a low conversion efficiency compared to normal, and the wort runoff has been kinda cloudy.  My brewhouse efficiency has also been a bit low.  But on all of those brews, I've been doing multiple things at once and hadn't taken the time to look for an answer.  Today, doing the first of 2 test brews, I figured I'd check calibration on things.  Turns out my brewing thermo read 15F lower than my calibration thermo!  Recalibrated the brewing thermo and I'm back up to 97% conversion efficiency and the mash runoff was crystal clear, like it should be.  DOH!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Calibrate those thermometers!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
Denny, what do you use for a calibration thermometer?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »
Denny, any idea what caused your brewing thermometer to get out of whack?  What kind of thermometer?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »
Denny, what do you use for a calibration thermometer?

I have both an alcohol immersion thermo and a VWR NIST certified "lollipop".  I used the lollipop today, but if I want to be dead accurate I break out the immersion.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:58:26 pm »
Denny, any idea what caused your brewing thermometer to get out of whack?  What kind of thermometer?

It's a bimetal dial thermo that I've had since I started brewing 18+ years ago.  Came with my original equipment.  Since it's made to be adjusted, sometimes the adjustment slips.  But I also dropped it a while back and hadn't checked it since then  Normally I check it every few brews, but things have been so crazy the last few times I brewed I hadn't gotten to it.  Another lesson...if yer gonna brew, then BREW!  Don't try to write a book and answer email at the same time!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:04:31 pm »

It's a bimetal dial thermo that I've had since I started brewing 18+ years ago.  Came with my original equipment.  Since it's made to be adjusted, sometimes the adjustment slips.  But I also dropped it a while back and hadn't checked it since then  Normally I check it every few brews, but things have been so crazy the last few times I brewed I hadn't gotten to it.  Another lesson...if yer gonna brew, then BREW!  Don't try to write a book and answer email at the same time!

Thanks.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:40 am »
I had the same thing happen on my HLT thermometer. I had been doing cold sparges before Marshall made it cool. It was 50 degrees off. I keep it out in the garage and I think the temperature swings over 15 years messed with it. I calibrated it to my Thermopen.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »

I don't like those dial-face thermometers.  I use to use one when I first started brewing and would always be a few degrees off every few brews. It seemed like even the slightest bump of it would mess up the calibration. Ever since I bought a Thermapen, I have been completely pleased with the purchase in both speed and accuracy. Also good to have one to calibrate other thermometers to as well.