Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great little lost oddity  (Read 2223 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Great little lost oddity
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:51:23 pm »
Here's a pic of a poster advertisement for a German restaurant in Milwaukee  called Mader's. No idea when it's from but it's hanging in the basement of my boss's father's house, now our office. Just thought it was kind of neat and that some might like to see it in case it brings back any memories

Enjoy, anyone ever there?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:54:21 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Great little lost oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:43:08 am »
It's a song. You sing: " isn't this a shooting gun? Yes it is a shooting gun. " then you go to the next: " isn't this a piggy bank? Yes it is a piggy bank. A piggy bank and a shooting gun". Onto the next, and you keep repeating the previous ones.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:04 am »
Yeah, one of those was at the closed Balck Forest Brewpub in Frankenmuth MI. Think we saw another in a German themed brewpub in Cedar Springs MI.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:01:22 am »
I think I will print this for my friends at Mr. Dunderbaks, our local German restaurant and homebrew meeting venue.  Thanks!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 07:45:37 am »
There's a German restaurant called the Schnitzelbank down in Jasper, Indiana. A lot of German people live/lived in Jasper over the years, not surprising given the proximity to Cincy. They throw a pretty nice Oktoberfest every year in Jasper, too.  The restaurant is a very good place to eat.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 08:20:05 am »
It's a song. You sing: " isn't this a shooting gun? Yes it is a shooting gun. " then you go to the next: " isn't this a piggy bank? Yes it is a piggy bank. A piggy bank and a shooting gun". Onto the next, and you keep repeating the previous ones.
Thanks Frank. Good to know. I happen to be wearing my "I got schutzenfaced at schutzenfest" t shirt this morning
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 09:25:04 am »
My big sister and her family used to live in Milwaukee.  I remember visiting back in the 70's and they took us to Mader's.  I guess it was one of those institutions you took out-of-towners to.  Growing up in a very Irish family, it was a blast of German culture.  Fond memories.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 11:21:39 am »
Thanks Frank. Good to know. I happen to be wearing my "I got schutzenfaced at schutzenfest" t shirt this morning
Shall we say that with being Belgian I'm only moderately enthusiastic about Germans in uniforms ;)
Frank P.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 11:53:02 am »

Is this an old drinking game or just something to keep the kiddies busy while they waited for their weinerschnitzel?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 04:22:51 am »
Apparently it's called a Bänkelsang - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A4nkelsang - was staged on markets by traveling artists as of the 17th century.
Frank P.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 05:17:58 am »
Going to have to get Google to translate that for me when I get in my laptop
Frank L.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:03:29 am »
I grew up in Milwaukee (still call a drinking fountain a "bubbler").  I have hazy memory of my parents taking me to Mader's.  I had weinerschnitzel of course.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:22 am »
Yeah, I believe it's a drinking song...you drank after each verse.  By the time you got to Tannenbaum you were fried.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:57 am »
I'm originally from Milwaukee and of half-blood German heritage, but now live 100 miles north.  I do still get downtown from time to time for concerts.  Perfect example: This Friday my wife and I are headed to see Alan Jackson someplace down there.

I went to Mader's a long long time ago, circa 1999.  I believe that was to see the Nutcracker around Christmas.  I recall having Franziskaner in the tall glass and thinking it was fantastic.  At that exact time I was just beginning to develop my taste for craft and imported beer.  Probably got some kind of pork & potatoes but I don't recall anymore.  I did think it was a cool place and would love to go again sometime, but of course the wife hates German food.

I grew up in Milwaukee (still call a drinking fountain a "bubbler").

Of course it's a bubbler.  A fountain is one of those big things in the park.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:31:05 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 10:42:34 am »
I'm gonna have to ask the old man about the poster the next time I see him to find out if it was his or his father's. He is 89 and his old family home has been converted into our office. Tons of neat old stuff in the basement including an old cider press, biro meat saw, and some old broken wine barrels, as well as some old local Breweriana: signs, mirrors, etc
Frank L.