Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: starter from 90ml harvested yeast?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
starter from 90ml harvested yeast?
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:04:48 am »
Hi all,

Going to do a beer next week (1048 OG, 5.5 gal batch).  I harvested Calif. ale yeast WLP001 last night from a previous batch I bottled.

According to Mr. Malty, I need about 90ml of repitched slurry to do the job.  That seems to be right about what I've got in one of my jars.  Actually, if I adjust the date back a week (since I won't pitch this for another week), it says I need 103ml.

I have two questions: 

1) should I do a yeast starter, or would that be too much yeast (I assume about 180ml)? Or, is it for some reason not good to do a yeast starter from harvested yeast in the first place?

2) I left the yeast concentration and non-yeast % on Mr. Malty at the default because I had no idea how to assess this.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

RPIScotty

Re: starter from 90ml harvested yeast?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:21:14 am »
I would just pitch it.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 07:10:32 am »
The viability loss estimations in the Mrmalty calculator are not the best.  Check the viability estimates in this calculator.  Seems to be much more reliable.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:37:28 am »
I would just pitch it.
I agree. You're repitching in a short enough timeframe that it can grow in your next batch rather than grow in a starter. As long as you aerate well and control your temp you should have plenty of healthy yeast to get the job done well.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 08:18:50 am »
The viability loss estimations in the Mrmalty calculator are not the best.  Check the viability estimates in this calculator.  Seems to be much more reliable.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
That doesn't cover slurry.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 08:37:11 am »
The calculator is for estimating the viability of the yeast in the slurry.  You can use Mrmalty to estimate the percentage of the slurry which is yeast.

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 08:47:31 am »
I would just pitch it.
I agree. You're repitching in a short enough timeframe that it can grow in your next batch rather than grow in a starter. As long as you aerate well and control your temp you should have plenty of healthy yeast to get the job done well.

Thanks, all!  I'll skip the starter this time.

blair.streit:  Your comment makes me wonder...if I'm going to use the slurry in a week, should I take it out of the fridge now?   Just sounds like you may be assuming I'm keeping it at room temp in the meantime.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 08:53:59 am »
The calculator is for estimating the viability of the yeast in the slurry.  You can use Mrmalty to estimate the percentage of the slurry which is yeast.
I had always believed these to be vastly different. Maybe Mark has some research based thoughts.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 12:00:14 pm »
Thanks, all!  I'll skip the starter this time.

blair.streit:  Your comment makes me wonder...if I'm going to use the slurry in a week, should I take it out of the fridge now?   Just sounds like you may be assuming I'm keeping it at room temp in the meantime.
The yeast health will be best if you store it cold (around 40F) and then let warm to pitching temp within 12 hours of brew time. The longer you leave them at warmer temps with nothing to eat, the weaker they get.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »
Keep the yeast cold until you are ready to pitch.  No real need to let the yeast warm up.  They will quickly acclimate to the warmer wort temps.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »
Keep the yeast cold until you are ready to pitch.  No real need to let the yeast warm up.  They will quickly acclimate to the warmer wort temps.

This.  I've actually seen some evidence that colder yeast into warmer beer is preferable.  Not to mention it's worked great for me for hundreds of batches.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »

This.  I've actually seen some evidence that colder yeast into warmer beer is preferable.  Not to mention it's worked great for me for hundreds of batches.
Now I'm curious -- what kind of deltas are you guys talking about? I agree that for purposes of the OP's question it's no big deal, but I like to overthink things ;)

I tend to do this with lagers when I'm pitching 40F-ish slurry into 45Fish wort. But are you guys saying you're pitching 40ish slurry into 65ish ale wort?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »
Now I'm curious -- what kind of deltas are you guys talking about? I agree that for purposes of the OP's question it's no big deal, but I like to overthink things ;)

I tend to do this with lagers when I'm pitching 40F-ish slurry into 45Fish wort. But are you guys saying you're pitching 40ish slurry into 65ish ale wort?

I take the yeast out of a 40ish fridge and directly pitch it into a 65ish wort.  No problem, great results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »

I take the yeast out of a 40ish fridge and directly pitch it into a 65ish wort.  No problem, great results.
Cool. That could save me some steps :)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »
According to Mr. Malty, I need about 90ml of repitched slurry to do the job.  That seems to be right about what I've got in one of my jars.  Actually, if I adjust the date back a week (since I won't pitch this for another week), it says I need 103ml.

Ninety milliliters of slurry will get the job done. If you want a better grasp of how yeast cultures grow, you should read "Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons" (http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/yeast-cultures-are-nuclear-weapons).