Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shipping beer WTF  (Read 5330 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Shipping beer WTF
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 06:55:18 pm »
I have shipped plenty of "books", "food items", "crafts", "glassware". Be careful mentioning glassware...I had an instance once where they had to repackage my box inside another bigger box with more packaging to guarantee it's delivery unless they opened up the package and inspected the packaging themselves. I think it was just bulls*** to get me to pay for more packaging...well, it cost me a little more but saved me the hassle and embarrassment of them inspecting the package to find beer.

I don't ship much so I don't care to open an account or anything. But just about every time I have shipped FedEx, they ask the contents. I stick to books that I sold on Ebay. And whatever you do, make sure the wife knows not to mention beer when asked the contents...yeah, that happened once.  You think she would know better being the wife of a home brewer...jeez. Man was she pissed at me. I was only sorry she got embarrassed, but she she said never again.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »
As many of you know, UPS recently lost my Spring Swap package to Joe Sr. It was not insured. They investigated, admitted they lost it, then asked me for a statement of what was in it and a value. This is what I sent them in an email.

"Dear Patty   The contents of the packaged shipped via UPS Tracking # 1Z8990780351404636 were (8) 22 oz glass bottles containing repitchable brewing yeast suspended in liquid form. They are not for sale, but an exchange between hobbyists. Similar products available commercially sell for about $14 each.   Total loss is $112 plus the cost of shipping $28.90 = $140.90"

They paid me $109.00. No idea where they came up with that figure, but it was better than nothing.

Cutting and saving for later use. Thanks Jim!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 05:58:12 am »
If you do not feel comfortable dropping the box from 6' onto concrete you have not packaged it good enough to survive the FedEx/UPS treatment.

The best thing was already mentioned, just print the label online and dropoff at a pickup point. No questions asked. If you packed well enough, they won't even hear any sloshing and no questions will be asked. When a bottle breaks is when they start to investigate and the box generally hits the trash. I individually zip lock each bottle and then wrap in bubble wrap. To my knowledge I have never had a breakage.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 06:07:23 am »
If you do not feel comfortable dropping the box from 6' onto concrete you have not packaged it good enough to survive the FedEx/UPS treatment.

The best thing was already mentioned, just print the label online and dropoff at a pickup point. No questions asked. If you packed well enough, they won't even hear any sloshing and no questions will be asked. When a bottle breaks is when they start to investigate and the box generally hits the trash. I individually zip lock each bottle and then wrap in bubble wrap. To my knowledge I have never had a breakage.
I think I pack well but I can't get it so no sloshing can be heard. How do you do that?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 07:43:54 am »
They paid me $109.00. No idea where they came up with that figure, but it was better than nothing.

They apparently gave you a $10 per bottle value plus the $29 shipping.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 07:55:24 am »
I think I pack well but I can't get it so no sloshing can be heard. How do you do that?

It's hard to put enough packaging where I hear no sloshing, but minimal sloshing is possible (where olive oil or bbq sauce is a believable reason).  You want to use as much newspaper/brown paper at the edges as feasible to create a buffer for sound.  I also usually try to alternate bottle directions sometimes since this will reduce the volume sloshing on the same axis.  Granted, my hearing is relatively sensitive surprisingly (I'm still able to hear some mosquito tones even though I theoretically shouldn't be able to).

That being said, what Mike said was all true.  We get FedEx and UPS deliveries daily, and they will routinely just drop a stack of boxes from waist height.  I pack with that in mind.  The only issue I've ever had with leakage was due to a bad can seam (it was in a trade, although I wish I had my own canner), and it was all contained within the bag.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:55 am »
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)