Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewed at KC Bier Co yesterday... some thoughts  (Read 8469 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Brewed at KC Bier Co yesterday... some thoughts
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 06:18:07 pm »
I knew there were affordable digital refractometers (gonna have one eventually), but I wasn't sure that the brewery's density meter qualified as the same. Maybe it does.

Does a digital refractometer measure accurate FG readings without correction? The density meter does, which was the appeal. I mean, at this point, measuring the gravity day after day in our fermentations is probably the next step to tracking our beers.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:34 pm »
I bought one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-MA871-BOX-Refractometer-Measurements/dp/B00G74Q9PS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

a month ago. Work great, small sample size mean that temp isn't really an issue. Only downside is the small sample size means that evaporation makes a significant difference. In spite of that, I love it. Far more accurate than my old refractometer, and it's so incredible easy to use and clean. If a regular refractometer that actually works is close to a hundred bucks, just wait a bit longer and buy one of these.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:43 pm »
I knew there were affordable digital refractometers (gonna have one eventually), but I wasn't sure that the brewery's density meter qualified as the same. Maybe it does.

Does a digital refractometer measure accurate FG readings without correction? The density meter does, which was the appeal. I mean, at this point, measuring the gravity day after day in our fermentations is probably the next step to tracking our beers.

I'm not sure if they measure FG without correction. I think I've read or heard that they have an algorithm that corrects for FG but I can't say that as fact. I'm definitely on board with something in the $200 range, just curious if that's what the $2500 thing actually is, or if it operates on a different principle than refraction.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »
The Milwaukee linked above is the one I see most often. Still requires correction. I have seen others that are designed for brewing and make corrections, but they are way more expensive.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:59 pm »
The Milwaukee linked above is the one I see most often. Still requires correction. I have seen others that are designed for brewing and make corrections, but they are way more expensive.
Yes, it doesn't compensate for temp. But as thermal mass of a couple drops of wort is small, most of my readings have been at whatever temp the meter was stored at.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 07:14:31 pm »
I have seen others that are designed for brewing and make corrections, but they are way more expensive.

Probably explains the big price jump to what that brewery has.
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 07:53:34 pm »

I'm not sure if they measure FG without correction. I think I've read or heard that they have an algorithm that corrects for FG but I can't say that as fact. I'm definitely on board with something in the $200 range, just curious if that's what the $2500 thing actually is, or if it operates on a different principle than refraction.

No, the density meter actually measures density.  The refractometer only measures the refractive index of a liquid.   It is calibrated for one thing only - a sugar water solution (brix).  Estimating the density of beer is only done with a very complex formula that takes into account FG and the known result of the chemical reaction of fermentation.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:53 pm »
No, the density meter actually measures density.  The refractometer only measures the refractive index of a liquid.   It is calibrated for one thing only - a sugar water solution (brix).  Estimating the density of beer is only done with a very complex formula that takes into account FG and the known result of the chemical reaction of fermentation.

Good info. Hence the steep price.
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:07 am »
This is really awesome, Amanda! KC Bier Co is one of the best breweries I have ever been too. I will be hitting it up next weekend in fact. It would have been cool if I had come in time for this one when it's ready. I bet it will be tasty.
Kyle M.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 08:15:17 am »
This is really awesome, Amanda! KC Bier Co is one of the best breweries I have ever been too. I will be hitting it up next weekend in fact. It would have been cool if I had come in time for this one when it's ready. I bet it will be tasty.
Next weekend? As in 4/30 or 5/7? (I can never tell) If it's 4/30, you should grab tickets to Parkville Microfest. 7 homebrew clubs and 40+ breweries, including KCBC. :)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 08:47:01 am »
Thanks for sharing and posting! 

I gotta ask...  Does KCBC pull off the elusive german character?  I am not well traveled but have been to plenty of good breweries and they can't pull it off.  Good or maybe even great beers, but just not on same level/world class as the style examples in terms of BJCP. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:20 am »
'manda, obv you backed off on the chocolate...  Any late hops?

If I can make the party we'll have to each bring our own for a private comparison to the big batch.

zwiller, the two KCBC beers I've had were fantastic.  I'll let others decide for themselves how "German" they are.  As for myself - as largely a brewer of German styles - I would be happy to say I made them. 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 09:25:54 am »
Yes on the elusive German character. Although that is just  anecdotal from me and a few others. I would highly suggest a visit to KC to find out. :)

The hops were 3.8lbs of Perle at 60 and 3.3lbs Hallertau Mittelfrüh at 15'. 90' boil. I understand that the co-owner goes to Bavaria to purchase hops directly as he is fluent in German and is very particular about freshness.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Scot ( One T )

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:28 am »
We were ready to pull the trigger on a density meter but found out they are not approved by the TTB. 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 10:29:07 am »
We were ready to pull the trigger on a density meter but found out they are not approved by the TTB.

Hahahahaha... oh gov't. ::)  What is the reasoning? Too accurate? Not accurate enough? Something else?
Amanda Burkemper